Hiawatha web server and Cms made simple

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

Hiawatha web server and Cms made simple

Post by Greenerpastures »

Hi everyone

Has any one installed CMS MADE SIMPLE on Hiawatha webserver.

I have tried to do this, when I type the install url in the browser
I get a message saying page can not be displayed.

I have other sites working with php and no problems.

May be some of you who are used to this CMS could try, or perhaps
advise as to why the installer seems to not run.

I have a php booking script running, phpbb, mybb and many other
scripts all under Hiawatha and not problems.

Thanks for commenting
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Hiawatha web server and Cms made simple

Post by PinkElephant »

Hi
Greenerpastures wrote:Hiawatha webserver. [...]page can not be displayed.
I've zero-experience of Hiawatha but does it do error-logging and say anything?

https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/installa ... quirements might point the way.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

PinkElephant wrote:Hi
Greenerpastures wrote:Hiawatha webserver. [...]page can not be displayed.
I've zero-experience of Hiawatha but does it do error-logging and say anything?

https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/installa ... quirements might point the way.
Hi, and thanks for commenting.
When I typ the install address:http://cms.127.0.0.1/cmsms-2.2.2-install.php
I get: http://cms.127.0.0.1/cmsms-2.2.2-install.php/index.php

I have CMS MADE SIMPLE installed in a sub directory like all my other
applications, the sub address is: cms which is prepended to the 127.0.0.1/cmsms-2.2.2-install.php with a . between, this works for all my other php scripts.

I get a "No input file specified. " error in the browser,
to me it seems as if there is something in the install script causing
index.php to try and run, but there is no index.php page untill may
be after the install has finished.

There is no Hiawatha errors being thrown up when the server starts,
as would be if there was the slightest mistake, and none in the logs,
it looks like Hiawatha is trying to serve a page that does not exist,
which is odd, as apache kows if a page is not there an will let you know.

I assume people are running CMS MADE SIMPLE on Apache and what ever redirects are in place work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards to all
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by PinkElephant »

Try unzipping cmsms-2.2.2-install.expanded.zip in an empty subdirectory. (I think you'll still need phar support).
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

PinkElephant wrote:Try unzipping cmsms-2.2.2-install.expanded.zip in an empty subdirectory. (I think you'll still need phar support).
Hi PinkElephant
Thank you for pointing me to the cmsms-2.2.2-install.expanded.zip file.
I downloaded it, Un Zipped it, copied the contents to a folder on my local
machine which I named cms, I uploaded this cms folder to my Hiawatha web root, pointed Hiawatha to the folder, and the install went without a
single hitch.

I passed all the checks except the one where it tries to call out to a web address, and got a warning triangle at this one, but this is not so important and I will try and understand why this was at a later date,
most likely my antivirus software, if not any ideas.

I then tried to navigate to my newly created site, no luck, first off I got a internal server error 500 message.
I tried again and got this a message sting fatal error regarding cms job which I did not copy down.

I increased the the time my server is allocated to run php sscripts to 60 seconds and the site opened.
The links on the site take a good while to oepen, though the few I have clicked have not yet timed out.

Am just curious as to why the pages are taking so long to open, is there a script trying to perhaps call home, as I mentioned above this step failed during install, or is there a cms job script that does something which I need to attend to.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks to all.
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by PinkElephant »

Hi
Greenerpastures wrote:I uploaded this cms folder to my Hiawatha web root, pointed Hiawatha to the folder, and the install went without a single hitch.
That sounds Ok - if you installed to root or any subdirectory parallel with /cms (as described in the installer 'readme').
Greenerpastures wrote:I passed all the checks except the one where it tries to call out to a web address, and got a warning triangle
There are checks for updates to core and modules. My host defaults to blocking all outbound connections from www-data so I've whitelisted these destinations;

Code: Select all

cmsmadesimple.org
dev.cmsmadesimple.org
www.cmsmadesimple.org
(I suspect only one of these is required.)
Greenerpastures wrote: Am just curious as to why the pages are taking so long to open
From here, you need to watch the server logs and put CMSms in debug mode. See https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubleshooting/tips

Good luck!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

There are checks for updates to core and modules. My host defaults to blocking all outbound connections from www-data
Well that is going to be problematic. Lots of functionality will require creating an outbound connection. Best to open it up. But at least allow connections to itself.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

calguy1000 wrote:
There are checks for updates to core and modules. My host defaults to blocking all outbound connections from www-data
Well that is going to be problematic. Lots of functionality will require creating an outbound connection. Best to open it up. But at least allow connections to itself.
Hi calguy1000

I have only installed CMS MADE SIMPLE on my Windows laptop, am
not sure what is stopping it calling out, I will add some entry to the Windows host file and see if this helps, if not I will try and add an exception to my anti virus for Hiawatha, or disable the anti virus to see if it helps.

I have a confession to make, during the install of my site using the assistant, I came across one box that I did not understand, the box was empty and rather than put some text in it that might break functionality I left it blank.
The box in question related to a prefix for pages, used to locate pages I think it said, but I put nothing in it and got no error during install I thought this was OK, but given slow page loads, then am wondering if this could be the cause, if so is there a file where I can enter some specific value and will that help my page load times, the odd thing is, once a page has loaded for the first or second time it loads really fast after that, is this due to a cache being built, I also am not using Apache, so is there any specific Apache functionality that may be causing my slow page loads.
This is one really capable CMS, option after option that I shall enjoy learning and putting into practice.
I hope you keep up the amazing work.

Regards & thanks for posting.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

PinkElephant wrote:Hi
Greenerpastures wrote:I uploaded this cms folder to my Hiawatha web root, pointed Hiawatha to the folder, and the install went without a single hitch.
That sounds Ok - if you installed to root or any subdirectory parallel with /cms (as described in the installer 'readme').
Greenerpastures wrote:I passed all the checks except the one where it tries to call out to a web address, and got a warning triangle
There are checks for updates to core and modules. My host defaults to blocking all outbound connections from www-data so I've whitelisted these destinations;

cmsmadesimple.org
dev.cmsmadesimple.org
www.cmsmadesimple.org
(I suspect only one of these is required.)
Greenerpastures wrote: Am just curious as to why the pages are taking so long to open
From here, you need to watch the server logs and put CMSms in debug mode. See https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubleshooting/tips

Good luck!
Hi PinkElephant

Thank you for commenting.
PinkElephant wrote: That sounds Ok - if you installed to root or any subdirectory parallel with /cms (as described in the installer 'readme').
Am I to understand that I should have the site I just created with the help of the assistant in the same directory as the CMS made simple files I downloaded and extracted.
Jut to clarify, here is my current structure,

Root/cms (The downloaded and extracted files for CMS MADE SIMPLE)
Root/my site (phpBB with fast pages)
Root/my site (site set up with cms made simple, with the slow pages)

If the above is OK, do I have to have the cms made simple install that is currently in the folder named /cms operative in order for my sites to work, or do the sites I install with the cms assistant not stand on their own two feet, for example if I deleted the folder wit the cms assistant would my other CMS MADE SIMPLE sites stop functioning.

Regards & thanks for posting.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

PinkElephant wrote:Try unzipping cmsms-2.2.2-install.expanded.zip in an empty subdirectory. (I think you'll still need phar support).
Hi, I do have phar support, I checked all the pre requisites and
have met them all.

Thanks for posting
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by PinkElephant »

Hey, calguy1000, thanks for commenting...
calguy1000 wrote:Well that is going to be problematic. Lots of functionality will require creating an outbound connection.
This is something I set years ago (first discovered when drupal update-checks repeatedly failed) and haven't really thought about since. It's now obvious that I'm accessing a shed load of external resources - without issue; functionality looks good, especially 2.2.2, and logs remain remarkably clean unless I'm testing stuff. So, either I don't understand the firewall mechanism or it's not working... <gulp> ;)
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

CMSMS 2.2 creates outbound connections to itself to trigger the asynchronous processing.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by PinkElephant »

Greenerpastures wrote:Am I to understand that I should have the site I just created with the help of the assistant in the same directory as the CMS made simple files I downloaded and extracted.
No. It sounds like you've gone for a 'parallel' install - which is fine.
Greenerpastures wrote:do I have to have the cms made simple install that is currently in the folder named /cms operative in order for my sites to work
You can rename/delete the /cms directory once the install has completed. It might be handy to keep the installer on hand, but not public, in case you want to refresh or repair the installation.
PinkElephant
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by PinkElephant »

calguy1000 wrote:CMSMS 2.2 creates outbound connections to itself to trigger the asynchronous processing.
I'm assuming all's as intended as the Background Job Manager is working error-free and the access logs show regular entries like;

GET /index.php?mact=CmsJobManager,cntnt01,process,0&cntnt01returnid=1&cms_cron=1&showtemplate=false HTTP/1.1" 200 3640 "-" "-"
... which are all coming from the machine's public ipv6 address. I need to find out what's happening with the firewall, though.
Greenerpastures
Forum Members
Forum Members

calguy1000 wrote:CMSMS 2.2 creates outbound connections to itself to trigger the asynchronous processing.
Hi calguy1000

I do not understand what you mean by triggering asynchronous processing, do you think this is why my installation loads pages rather slowly.
I mentioned that I left a box empty when I created my site with the assistant, the box wanted some identifiers so files could be found or something to this effect, how do I fix this and what should I have typed in that box, there is no indication as to what is expected in that box during install, whether it is a word, numbers or what.

Thanks and Regards to all who posted.

Return to “The Lounge”