editor functionality, RTF - text colors, size, fonts

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
StevenAvery

editor functionality, RTF - text colors, size, fonts

Post by StevenAvery »

Hi,

Newbie here.

CMS Made Simple 1.11.9. PHP: 5.4.7, MySQL : 5.5.27 Apache/2.4.3 (Win32) Xampp 1.8 Windows XP SP 3

First question is simply about the editor. One video I saw shows a full-featured editor (e.g. color, font size, many functions) with I gather might be TinyMCE.

When I first go in, I see, apparently, MicroTiny. So no colors and only rudimentary functions? Bold, italics and a bit more.

Am I understanding this properly? Am I supposed to either install TinyMCE as a module or fall into HTML tags?

My goal is simply to have "Eudora style" editing . It would be nice to have RTF paste maintained.

Anyway, if you can help me get up to speed on editing basics it would be appreciated. My needs are not super-sophisticated, a lot of it is simply nicely formatted text and an occasional picture, I was working on very practical informational pages on Bible topics. My goal is to use CMS Made Simple to give more sophistication and structure than Blogger or a simple WordPress usage, without losing too much of simple editing function, without falling into code much (I am a programmer in other realms, small business mini-computer, so I don't insist on being code-free).

And I may totally misunderstand the basics here. I did poke around in google and documentation.

And help appreciated in getting moving.

Thanks.

Steven Avery
Bayside, NY
staartmees
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: editor functionality, RTF - text colors, size, fonts

Post by staartmees »

Styling - color, font type, ... - is defined in the stylesheet, not in the text.
you cannot use RTF in a webpage.
Microtiny does the job, TinyMCE has a few extras.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Yes you have to install TinyMCE as a module. It's a more fully featured editor and from the sound of your background it will suit you well. You can view the HTML and it direct if you're comfortable with that.

Not sure what Eudora style is, it's been 20 years since I used Eudora.

You'll see the power of cmsms when you start looking at modules like CGCalendar and listit2 which offer easy ways to develop complex features on your website.
StevenAvery

Post by StevenAvery »

Hi,

Thanks.

Eudora has simply a normal easy-to-work editor, with good RTF functionality.

Plus it has a special nicety, that you can paste pictures directly in from the clipboard (they don't have to be uploaded attachments.) So I think when I was playing with Wordpress I used that feature combined with emailing to the blog. However, I do not particularly like trying to mold a blog architecture to mimic a website. Seems unelegant.

With CMSMS I gather if I use style-sheets for RTF it would be hard to go in and out of different color and size on a web-page, in a free-form, not previously sectioned, manner. Without tweaking in HTML after the fact. That sort of free-form writing (e.g. Bible verses in one color, quotes from books in another, my text in another, some words might be in italics) is an ongoing part of my writing and what I am trying to accomplish on my web-pages.

Steven
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

TinyMCE will let you color text, make it italics, change the actual font per sentence/word, etc. so it sounds like what you need, the drag/drop image thing is not part of CMSMS except in the uploads drop zone and you can set tinyMCE to let you do extended file picking...
StevenAvery

Post by StevenAvery »

Hi,

My question is whether it got so that color and stuff in what is "in-context editing" the straight editing of a page, or whether it is done in style sheets, rather than ad hoc. When I went to edit new text for a page, I saw the trimmed down editor.

Maybe there is something to be learned, or that I am missing?

Steven
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

TinyMCE attempts to display styles for you - so if your H1 is brown in the stylesheet it will show as brown in the TinyMCE window. It won't show all styles though, particularly the more complex ones.

It's not an in-page editor (where you literally click on something in the live website page and edit it there) and never will be.
StevenAvery

Post by StevenAvery »

Hi,

Do I make a "generic, simple" style that allows the RTF editing to pretty much directly become the web page?

Then the more powerful editor comes up?

Steven
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

I don't understand your first question.

Your second question: The way to get the more powerful editor to work is:
Go to Extensions -> Module Manager.
Search tab.
Search for TinyMCE.
Then click "Download & Install".

Then: My Preferences -> My Account.
User Preferences tab.
In "Select WYSIWYG to use" drop down choose TinyMCE.

From now, when you edit pages your WYSIWYG editor will be TinyMCE.
staartmees
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by staartmees »

As I wrote before: you cannot use RTF in a webpage. A webpage uses HTML and CSS. I'm sure you can find a free RTF to HTML Converter on the web.

Return to “The Lounge”