Adding content from CSV files?

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
antosha
Forum Members
Forum Members

Adding content from CSV files?

Post by antosha »

Hi everyone!
I'm currently planning a large-scale project that will be built on CMSMadeSimple.

I currently have a large amount of data in CSV files that need to be in someway integrated into CMSMS so I can use this data on content pages and for specific modules (ex: CGGoogleMaps), etc.

How can this be done? I believe, I need to migrate all this data into my database throgh MySQL queries,... or maybe not?

Follow me on twitter: end_tone
Linked In: levchenkoanton
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Adding content from CSV files?

Post by kermit »

does the content in the csv contain actual pages or just data to use within a page (e.g. with a udt that reads the csv and outputs the data to display)?

how much data is there (e.g. number of csv fields, how many rows?)

will the csv data change? if so, how do you want to modify that data (e.g. inside cmsms or using whatever existing method that produced the csv you have now)
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
antosha
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by antosha »

The CSV contains various data (not pages) like lat/long coordinates, address, description.

There is a lot of data, one single CSV file can contain 25+ columns and maybe 1000+ rows. So there's is quite a lot of data. (some files are 45Mb+)

And yes, I need the ability to modify that data (preferably through CMSMS). For example, each column is an item (or page) variable and each row is the item itself which I could modify through CMS.

Yesterday I watched some of CMS projects I have been working on a couple of years ago and that reminded me of CTL module maker. This module allows to upload items to the CMS through an XML file. So what I am thinking right now, maybe I could try creating a CTL module, then convert the CSV file into an XML and upload that, et voila!
Last edited by antosha on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Here is a nifty thing..

http://phpexcel.codeplex.com/

I use it here..
http://98.129.105.19/ which will become http://loid.net later..

It's the SUMMER WATERING table.. that is a excell sheet (could be a csv if needed) that the client updates of to the side and uploads to the uploads folder.. point is that with that you can instead of outputing like i did you can just do queries and shove it to the db.

Just one more way to skin a cat.. Hope that helps some.. cheers -Jeremy
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kermit »

Multiple CSVs, up to and over 45 megabytes each, that you want to be able to modify via a web interface..... no question, definitely need a database for best performance.

There are a few "module maker" type modules. Try 'em out on a test setup (e.g. XAMPP or similar) and see which one works best for you. Ideally, one of them will be able to import CSV (or some other format you can convert your data to) with minimal fuss, or at least create a database structure that allows you to import the data via a third party tool (phpMyAdmin, etc).
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
Jeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Jeff »

Data is very generic. We can help more if you tell us what the data is and what you want to do with it.

With you saying it is something with long/lat, I would probably point you to CompanyDirectory and yes it does have a csv import feature.

ajprog
antosha
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by antosha »

thanks guys for your tips.
I figured out that the best way to upload a lot of content is indeed through phpMyAdmin, works great.

Return to “The Lounge”