General discussion about UI/UX for the CMS and modules

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
Translator
Translator

General discussion about UI/UX for the CMS and modules

Post by 10010110 »

Hello everyone,

I’ve been working with CMS Made Simple since version 0.7, I believe, and have also experienced other CMSs over the course of the last ten years, by implementing different systems (sometimes involuntarily) for different clients. Over time and with growing experience I’ve noticed various strengths and weaknesses in all CMSs I have worked with, and with CMS Made Simple still being the CMS of my first choice I would like to start a qualified discussion about user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) improvements of the workflow in the system’s admin area where I feel it could use some improvements.

But before I get started with my thoughts, ideas, and suggestions, I would coridally like to know whether such input or such a discussion is actually appreciated and will find open ears on the side of the devs or will just go unnoticed? I don’t want to waste my precious time if nobody cares.

Hoping to spark a prolific discussion. :-)
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: General discussion about UI/UX for the CMS and modules

Post by paulbaker »

Not a dev, but I would be interested in reading/participating in this. CMSMS is great but that doesn't mean it can't be improved!
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
master3395
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by master3395 »

I wish cms had some good bootstrap UI.
I don't really know much about UI's but having some 3dish buttons and look sounds really cool.
Translator
Translator

Post by 10010110 »

A user interface is not primarily about good looking buttons or whatever but about usability. That means that content is well structured and objects are easily recognizable. Bootstrap is completely unnecessary to achieve this; in fact, I like to call it “Bloatcrap” because it’s just that for most websites/applications. It might work under certain circumstances but isn’t the universal solution to everything.

Also, I’m not just thinking about the appearance to users but also about implementation on the technical side (well structured semantic HTML) for the developers of themes etc. I’m currently a little busy but I’m gonna put down some thoughts and/or a basic general concept later.

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”