Useability - Responsive theme

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
casperl

Useability - Responsive theme

Post by casperl »

I am new to CMSMadeSimple though a seasoned web developer. I am impressed with what I see. One question (and I suspect I might already know the answer) is responsive themes or mobile friendly themes. I have spent hours today browsing documentation, on Google search and looking at the Smarty website. I find lots of (supposedly) mobile themes for sale for Smarty but find very little on responsive themes or mobile friendly themes that I can try out first for CMSMS.
Unfortunately, this is 2014 and not 2007, and mobile first, with progressive enhancements for desktops is a deal breaker for me.

Any advice will be appreciated, thank in advance
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Useability - Responsive theme

Post by Jo Morg »

casperl wrote:Unfortunately, this is 2014 and not 2007, and mobile first, with progressive enhancements for desktops is a deal breaker for me.
Hi,
any (and I do mean ANY) HTML template or static page can be so easily converted into a CMSMS (or Smarty for that matter) template that it's hardly worth the effort of publishing paid for templates, specifically for CMSMS. You can buy any template from any site and all you have to do is paste the HTML in a template, and replace a few bits and pieces with Smarty tags... what could be simpler than that??? By comparison almost any other CMS that I know of is a huge PITA to skin, making sense to pay for a specific template for that CMS. It's a pity that what is, IMO, a strength in CMSMS, is being so often mistakenly considered a weakness... Sometimes all it takes to see things in perspective is to change the point where we stand and position ourselves in higher ground ;) .
HTH
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
staartmees
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by staartmees »

DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

This is a really important point, and needs to be repeated. You can use nearly any template for CMSMS, it doesn't need to be created specifically for this system. It actually makes it ridiculously easy to reuse HTML and CSS from other systems, or static sites, and convert them to CMSMS.

Once you look at the default template after installing, you'll see there's just a few {tags} to add and/or replace to convert a template or existing site.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
casperl

Post by casperl »

Thanks all for the great responses, I will work from the bottom up at creating a new template and see how it goes. Lots of optionality that I seem to have missed.

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”