CMSMS 0.13: Moving pages up and down

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
DomasoFan

CMSMS 0.13: Moving pages up and down

Post by DomasoFan »

Hi folks,

as a blind user of CMSMS I have a question.
When I am in the admin panel and I would like to move a page up or down in the Menu it is a little bit difficult, for example when you have many pages.
It would be nice when the position of the page which is shown in the table in the admin panel would be in a text box. Then you can edit these numbers and maybe click on a update button. so you can make multiple pages at once go on the place where they should be. Can that be included in 0.14?

Greetings and continue with that good work.

Simon
jeldert

Re: CMSMS 0.13: Moving pages up and down

Post by jeldert »

I agree that there should be an faster way to move pages. If you add a new page it will be placed as the last page in that section. If I want to move it up it takes a lot of time.

The same system is used by Album. A new album is added at the bottom, but to move it to the top it takes a lot of clicks.

Off course it can be edited directly in the database, but a fool-proof frontend should be nice.
DomasoFan

Post by DomasoFan »

Hi,
jeldert wrote: I agree that there should be an faster way to move pages. If you add a new page it will be placed as the last page in that section. If I want to move it up it takes a lot of time.

The same system is used by Album. A new album is added at the bottom, but to move it to the top it takes a lot of clicks.

Off course it can be edited directly in the database, but a fool-proof frontend should be nice.
The system could be like that. When you look at the pages listing you have the 1, 1.1, 2, 2.4, etc. When these numbers are in an edit box then they can be modified and saved with a save button and then the items can sort themself automatically.

Simon
gigicop
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by gigicop »

I agree with you... This could be very helpful. Good suggestion!
I'm blind, too.

Bye.
Gigi.
Gigi
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

I think I'll try and see how easy this would be to do. I implemented this in my CMS that I had written before I moved over to CMSMS. I too have been frustrated about how hard it is to reorder.......
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

I have added mass re-ordering via input boxes on listcontent.php in the lastest SVN version of CMSMS: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... 7&view=rev

Enjoy  ;)
Note: I don't have time to take on any more projects. I'm quite busy. I may be too busy to reply to emails or messages. Thanks for your understanding. :)
lemkepf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lemkepf »

Personally i think this would be a perfect use of AJax... but that might not be as accessible as boxes.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

lemkepf wrote: Personally i think this would be a perfect use of AJax... but that might not be as accessible as boxes.
I agree, but I don't know how to do it in AJAX.  :-\ It'd be cool if someone that knows how could submit a patch to do it.  :)
lemkepf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lemkepf »

We'll they did have some ajax in the groups page before, i wonder if that code is still available to use? Anyways, a nice tutorial here:
http://www.gregphoto.net/sortable/index.php

Edit: and take some examples from here:
http://www.stromcode.com/modules.php?na ... cle&sid=18
and here:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... table.html
Kagee

Post by Kagee »

I might be stupid - and i might be blind - but just what is it you want to use javascript/AJAX for?
lemkepf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lemkepf »

To move pages up and down dynamically without having to reload the page each time. (i know the text boxes would be able to handle it too, but i think this will be more elgant and functional not just for accessibilty but regular users too.)
Kagee

Post by Kagee »

I'm a newbie CMSms-user (1st and only time i'll write this), but i might be able to write this code - if what i belive to be true - is true.

Do the file ... (listcontent.php or relatives of this file)
Elijah Lofgren wrote: I have added mass re-ordering via input boxes on listcontent.php in the lastest SVN version of CMSMS: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... 7&view=rev
Enjoy  ;)

contain all the code to update the database with the new page-order?
Last edited by Kagee on Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

Kagee wrote: I'm a newbie CMSms-user (1st and only time i'll write this), but i might be able to write this code - if what i belive to be true - is true.

Do the file ... (listcontent.php or relatives of this file)
Elijah Lofgren wrote: I have added mass re-ordering via input boxes on listcontent.php in the lastest SVN version of CMSMS: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... 7&view=rev
Enjoy  ;)

contain all the code to update the database with the new page-order?
The code to update database page order one at a time using the arrow buttons is in admin/movecontent.php
The code I just added to update the database with the new page order all at once is in admin/multicontent.php

Have fun.  ;)
westis

Post by westis »

Elijah, this is great!

For accessibility purposes it's good if also a non-AJAX version is available (for blind users), although moving pages with AJAX would be so cool as!

A few issues with the current implementation in svn:
  • I find it rather confusing now with the page hierarchy numbers, mixing fixed numbers and the reorder box. Maybe the boxes could be placed in its own column, to the right of the move arrows? Then it's also closer to the reorder dropdown, so that it's easier to understand how it works and that column could get its own column title too. The problem then is how to distinguish the different levels...
  • "Multi Page Actions" is hardcoded in English.
  • It's almost as much job renumbering all pages, as no two numbers can be the same (so if one is changed most of the other pages need to be changed too). Instead I would suggest that by default the numbers are 10, 20, 30 etc. Then for #30, 15 could be typed instead, which makes it appear after #10, but before #20. That is, the pages are sorted ascendent by what number is typed in the reorder box.
With some polishing this feature will be very useful.
Elijah Lofgren
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Elijah Lofgren »

lemkepf wrote: We'll they did have some ajax in the groups page before, i wonder if that code is still available to use? Anyways, a nice tutorial here:
http://www.gregphoto.net/sortable/index.php
Thank you!  :)
That is working out great!
I've add a page showing drag and drop reordering working: http://viewsvn.cmsmadesimple.org/viewsv ... 4&view=rev

I just need to make the serialized order be saved, probably do that tomorrow (today, that is).  ;)

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”