Goodbye !!

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
julemanden

Goodbye !!

Post by julemanden »

I have spent a few hours reading and it looked pretty OK, this cms, until I tried to figure out, how to create a new page. I had to google and found:
To create a new page you first have to make a link to that new page. To do this edit an existing page which you want to have the link to your new page. In that existing page create the link simply by typing the name between double square brackets [[Link title]] or by pressing the Wiki internal link.png icon and replacing the text Link title with the name of your new page.
and I thought to myself: "Holy Moses, if that's the best, the programmers could do, then I move on to test the next CMS"

CMS Made Simple !! I call it CMS Made User-un-friendly-and-difficult.

This post was meant as positive feedback
Michael, Denmark
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Goodbye !!

Post by RonnyK »

Michael,

apparantly you found the link to create a wiki-page.

To add content to your site, just go to Content->pages and press the AddContent-link.

Ronny
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Have no idea where you came up with that set of instructions but if you go to admin, site.com/admin/, you will see top menu item Content under it is Pages, click Pages, at the top is Add New Content link/button click that and there you go...
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Michael,

and besides that. The default content that comes with the installation, describes much... About adding/editing content, working with templates, etc....

Ronny
julemanden

Post by julemanden »

wow, you are fast, guys, I will give it a try again. Good that I have a 1-click installer ;-)

OK, I go Admin->Content->Pages->Add new Content and in the drop down I am expecting to see 'Normal page' but I see "Content Type" and no 'page', but other strange things.
ah, now I get it a little. The programmer thinks, that I know about tech stuff like databases etc. ;-) 'content' added to the database' what a language.

Userfriendlyness proofs itself by helping me, when I need it. Adding New Content: there is plenty of room for helping text on my screen, but none appears. No Help button, no ? and no nothing.

OK, I managed a little, but ... I am author of computer books and very critical. This seems to be for tech people. The language is pretty tech. But I will leave the installation and get back. It seems a lot of Try something without really understanding, what I am doing and later View Site and see, what I done. Not a good way to learn ;-)
Michael Denmark
julemanden

Post by julemanden »

I read this:
There are currently 6 main content types in version 1.9.2 "Tevairoa". These content types determine the type of content for each menu item.

* Content
* Error Page
* External Page Link
* Internal Page Link
* Section Header
* Separator

The Content type is simply a regular page.
I am not sure, if the author of this would pass an examen in high school. Please read it yourself: 6 'content types' and one is called 'content' ;-) We have 6 kind of cars and the first one is called 'car' ;-) If it is a regular page, then call it a 'page' - for Christ sake. This is a very good way of loosing customers.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Interesting, I have a client that has a hard time just telling me what browser she uses, "browser what's that?" and yet she manages to add pages make changes to all kinds of stuff, even doing secondary language pages, Russian, Spanish etc., took me all of 20 minutes to tell her how...
julemanden

Post by julemanden »

she has you as a personal guide. I don't. She can ask a living person. I can't. That's why children go to school. Internet communication is very, very different from a real contact between 2 persons. I have only tested CMS for a few weeks. Try to google 'Wordpress' and 'cmsmadesimple' and ask yourself: why does WordPress have so much more hits?
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

...because Wordpress is such an crappy CMS that more people seek for help and/or write about it on the internet ;D

I have set up my website in 1 hour. No tech background here. I actually found this CMS to be the most easiest to set up (compared against WP, Joomla, Drupal, Modx)

Did you actually read the default content that came with your installation. That answers most of the questions you raise in your posts. If you need anything else, we have a beautiful forum with very experienced members who are always willing to help or think along with you.
Make your community a better place!
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

It is funny that with other CMSes you DO need to do something like that. Create a page, and then "add it to the menu" separately. Funny.
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Wishbone »

replytomk3 wrote:It is funny that with other CMSes you DO need to do something like that. Create a page, and then "add it to the menu" separately. Funny.
I agree.. When I first started working with dynamic content, I was so frustrated with your more popular CMSs just for that reason. I was having trouble linking menus to pages, etc. Not to mention all the un-ending content types. This is coming from a self-proclaimed computer nerd, who should be able to do this kind of thing in my sleep. I happened to land on "CMS Made Simple" because of the name. If it is so "simple", I should be able to understand it. I created a test page and it showed up in the menu, like magic. That was it for me. I don't even have to do much explanation to my users.. Just a quick email or two. Very self-explanatory.
the1knight
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by the1knight »

I know this is a very old thread, but I just thought I would add my two penneth, purely from recent experience.

I agree with all the mods here. I downloaded Joomla 10 days ago, installation went smoothish after a few false starts and forum posts but then it took me 2 days to work out how to send emails via a registration form. I got so frustrated trying to get my head around other "easy" exercises, I decided to look elsewhere.

I came across Necleus, another "easy" cms. As I had some installation experience I was okay there, but 3 days later I had gotten no where near sending emails through the registration page. A so called guru moderator gave me less than helpful advice as to the definite existance of a templete.
there should be one somewhere
. There wasn't!

I installed cmsmade simple today. A breeze. Although and here is where you need to listen up. The documentation explicitly states to see
Install on Local Windows PC
if that is what I want to do, but I haven't found that document and have not had a forum reply to a previous post earlier today, or an email from the feedback section.
However, moving on to completion, I have managed to cover more ground with cmsmadesimple in a few hours than I have with any others I have looked at. I was getting fed up with the term "easy" being used far too liberally. Even cmsmadesimple can't really claim that. If you think I am wrong, ask your Mother if she can set it up without any help from you personally, no ints and no suggestions.

I am a certified html website designer with absolutely no exprience of cms, only that I once logged into a joomla site. I have basic knowledge and experience with css and some knowledge but no experience of php other than that I can get hints from the code. I am looking at setting up a jargon busting pc knowledge base to benefit faint hearted users and turned to cms to save me having to design, plus I need to allow users to get involved. I feel I will be using cmsmadesimple as the system of choice and will give it a fair and honest review.

I love the default install in that it acts much like a tutorial as well as informative reading from the get go. Well done!

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”