Help with a Usability Question

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
phrique
Forum Members
Forum Members

Help with a Usability Question

Post by phrique »

Hi all,

I designed a website for my church (http://www.holytrinityweb.com) using CMS Made Simple.  During the design phase myself and a graphics guy went through the process of really trying to figure out what the use case would be and tried to anticipate what would be important for people right off the bat.  I think we generally did a good job.  However, with the rise in use of the page I've found people want to include current events on the page.  I could easily handle this with the news module, but my problem is this--where should I put it without destroying the layout of the main page?

I was thinking one way I could handle it is to have the welcome message where it is by default, and adding an overlay of sorts that a visitor could click on to display news in that area instead (Click here for current news and events or something).  My question is twofold:

1.  Does that seem like a reasonable idea from a usability perspective or should I look to do it another way?
2.  If an overlay to replace the welcome message is a good idea, how do I go about doing that?  I'm sure others have done something similar.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Fraserm
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Help with a Usability Question

Post by Fraserm »

You could still use the news module but specify the detailpage parameter as the homepage.

If I remember correctly (I don't have access to an installation right now) that will overwrite the default content block with the news article content.

If the user clicked your 'Home' link the homepage would again be displayed with the welcome content.

As an aside, if useability it your aim, consider adding '>' or similar icons to your menus so people know a particlar menu item can be expanded further.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

FF 3.6 default zoom 1680x1050 doesn't look so good:
Attachments
shift.jpg
phrique
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by phrique »

Detailpage?  Interesting.  I'll have to look into it.

Thanks for the screenshot.  I'll have to look into why that might be happening.  It's a shame that CSS isn't uniformly implemented so you could really be reasonably sure things will look good on all platforms.  Of course, it may just be that I'm missing some strange condition in my CSS.
wy0453

Post by wy0453 »

Excellent list! I've learned more from this forum in about 2 days than I have at any other forum community.
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kermit »

your best bet for adding items from the news module to the front page without disrupting the overall layout is to dump the slideshow in the upper-left corner...

as long as you keep summaries short (or use the truncate modifier, just in case), you can fit 2-3 entries in that space.
Last edited by kermit on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Like most sites I'm sure you don't want people going to your gallery and seeing a ton of spam...

http://www.holytrinityweb.com/gallery/i ... inner-2010

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”