CMSMS GOOGLE SEO ISSUE ??

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
draak

CMSMS GOOGLE SEO ISSUE ??

Post by draak »

See Google Webmaster Technical guidelines
http://www.google.co.uk/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en-uk&answer=35769

Here it says:
Allow search bots to crawl your sites without session IDs or arguments that track their path through the site. These techniques are useful for tracking individual user behaviour, but the access pattern of bots is entirely different. Using these techniques may result in incomplete indexing of your site, as bots may not be able to eliminate URLs that look different but actually point to the same page.
The default CMSMS behaviour is that it creates a session everytime someone accesses your website.

I can't find any switch in config.php, nor I could find any help in forums about this.

My question:
What is the point of having session created for every visitor??? Surely, there must be a way just to switch it off!

Thanks,

Gis
Last edited by draak on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhaack

Re: CMSMS GOOGLE SEO ISSUE ??

Post by nhaack »

Hi Draak,

no need to worry. As long as the session id is not part of the URL or used to show different content to the bots than to regular visitors, you will not experience any problems with the big G.

Concerning the switching off of sessions, I do not have an answer.

Best regards
Nils
viebig

Post by viebig »

Dear draak,

Dont worry at all.

Arguments and session variables just affect Google when they´re used directly in the URL.

for example: site.com/page.php?PHPSESID=Gt56Hght5x32WgT67

Sessions are used fro advanced features that you may implement on your website. There is no harm at all, as long the session varibles are handle by the server, not passed by URL´s.

99% of php apps on the internet uses sessions, because the basic PHP configuration on most of hosts uses sessions auto start.

Note:
...as bots may not be able to eliminate URLs that look different but actually point to the same page.
Last edited by viebig on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

would you please follow the forum rules and NOT YELL IN ALL OF YOUR POSTS.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

And besides all that... What sessions are you referring to? There are sessions in the backend, for security reasons, but on the frontend-pages (the ones visitors and bots see), no sessions are used...

Ronny
draak

Post by draak »

viebig wrote: Dear draak,

Dont worry at all.

Arguments and session variables just affect Google when they´re used directly in the URL.

for example: site.com/page.php?PHPSESID=Gt56Hght5x32WgT67

Sessions are used fro advanced features that you may implement on your website. There is no harm at all, as long the session varibles are handle by the server, not passed by URL´s.

99% of php apps on the internet uses sessions, because the basic PHP configuration on most of hosts uses sessions auto start.

Note:
...as bots may not be able to eliminate URLs that look different but actually point to the same page.

================================================================
sorry, couldn't help to scream for attention. i thought this was the case - hoped. you know, google has the cheek to ask us not to use sessions, but they use it all the f*cking time!

:-D

hexdj
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by hexdj »

@draak:

Read what RonnyK said, there are no sessions created for front end, only for the admin, which you don't want google to index anyways.

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”