AJAX techniques not useable with screen reader

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
Manu1984

AJAX techniques not useable with screen reader

Post by Manu1984 »

Hi @all,

I'm nearly blind and I'm using a screen reader (Jaws v8.0) to access the web.

I want to create a website with CMSMS for a friend - she is also blind - but we have problems using the admin panel because there are AJAX elements (e.g. Content - Pages - Add new content - Main/Options/Preview) and the screen reader can't display this section in a clickable/linked form. On the braille display I only can see and edit the entries of the main section but it is not possible to view the options/preview section.

Ideas?

thanks,
Manu
cubix
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: AJAX techniques not useable with screen reader

Post by cubix »

Hi Manu1984,

This is not something I know about and really cant help you, but wanted to say, I hope you receive some positive answers.

I feel CMS Made Simple is all about usability, and this may be an area that needs attention.
Nullig
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Nullig »

Is this a case of the "Insert + Esc" command not updating the virtual buffer correctly? Or is it something else?

Nullig
Last edited by Nullig on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pozmu
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pozmu »

If you disable Javascript in your browser, you should be able to access at least some of the options - e.g. options tab of "add content" section will be displayed below edit area. Preview still won't work :(
Darren-H
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Darren-H »

Hi

I also use Jaws and have found that even if you click on the areas that seem like they are not able to be clicked on, it'll still activate the link.

alternatively, go to the area that you wish to click on and route your jaws cursor to the virtual cursor and do a left click key command, which is the second key on the top row of the number pad on the right hand side of your keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Darren H

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”