CMS - Friendly URL - in Windows Hosting

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
jabadco

CMS - Friendly URL - in Windows Hosting

Post by jabadco »

hello
I have just installed CMS and it works great!!!
I used work with Nuke and I tried Joomble, but CMS is the best I found. It is like a Mac. Estable and easy, big and friendly. Friendly?...
Ah!, yea!. I have a little problem. My CMS is installed in a Windows server. It works with well with ASP. I am wondering if is possible to make easy URLS like myweb.net/music.html in a windows server. I have installed another CMS in a LINUX server and the friendly Urls  work great!!, but with this web in Windows Server...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot

javier
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: CMS - Friendly URL - in Windows Hosting

Post by tsw »

if windows server supports somekind of url rewrite it can be used..

if you have apache it should just work...
jabadco

Post by jabadco »

hello tsw
my server is proffesional, so, I think it can do mod rewrite.

It has support for:  ASP, MS .NET Framework (ASP.NET 1.1 y ASP.NET 2.0), Access, HTML, Javascript, Applets de Java, Motor de Java, Flash, XML, PHP, Perl, ODBC Data Source (DSN), Macromedia Flash.

How can I do the rewrite mod for my CMS??

I have spent the whole week trying to fix that, and I could't. Can you help me?

thanks again

javier
PatDeLux

Post by PatDeLux »

I think it does not work. You could have a solution if you were realliy managing your own machine whith the ability to have Administrator level and install a soft on it, but for hosting companies, it is not available.
I recently moved my site for that reason from an (otherwise excellent) Windows hosting to a Linux hosting, and now it's cheaper, faster, and SEF.
I'am a bit sad I lost access to a nice remote SQL Server and Sharepoint, but LAMP seems definitively better (except for some circumstances).
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

I use the following code in a .htaccess file on a windows machine with pretty urls:
(Found the code here in the forums)

Code: Select all

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on

# 301 Redirect all requests that don't contain a dot or trailing slash to
# include a trailing slash
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.
RewriteRule ^(.*) %{REQUEST_URI}/ [R=301,L]

# Rewrites urls in the form of /parent/child/
# but only rewrites if the requested URL is not a file or directory
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ index.php?page=$1 [QSA]
Greg
jabadco

Post by jabadco »

Hi every one

I have just talk with My Host Support and they told me it is not possible to do a mod_rewrite neither .access. No way with Apache they told me.  This is increible!! I spend weeks doing a website and now is impossible to position she in search engines.

Is really impossible to do something for write easy URLS for CMS in a Windows Server with all this skills???
(ASP, MS .NET Framework (ASP.NET 1.1 y ASP.NET 2.0), Access, HTML, Javascript, Applets de Java, Motor de Java, Flash, XML, PHP, Perl, ODBC Data Source (DSN), Macromedia Flash.

Thanks again.
PatDeLux

Post by PatDeLux »

I think it would be better to speak about IIS hosting vs Apache hosting.
For the previous post mentioning .htaccess file, afaik that is pure Apache stuff. You MAY have an Apache server on a Windows machine. But IIS would totally ignore that ! (or am I missing something ?)
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tsw »

I think there is some hack to get modrewrite like function in IIS but dont quote me on that.

You could always use internal pretty urls. they are quite pretty too.. and should be ok for google also..

hope this helps

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”