Module Manager notes field

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Module Manager notes field

Post by gocreative »

Many client websites have custom modifications or specific version requirements for certain modules, and keeping track of these can be difficult.

Within Module Manager, it would be great if there was a single text field (possibly within a tab) for storing notes about modules/upgrades. There could also be a checkbox "Prompt users to check notes before any module upgrades" which acts as a failsafe in the event that an admin is trying to upgrade any modules.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Module Manager notes field

Post by Rolf »

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/usersguide is great for notes in the Admin and I think covers your issue.
If you don't want users to upgrades modules themselves you better give them the appropiate permissions.

Grtz. Rolf
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Module Manager notes field

Post by gocreative »

Thanks but I'm aware of that module, and it's not quite what I'm looking for because:

1. It's designed for end users (clients), not developers. There's a good chance that module would already be in use for that purpose, so it couldn't be used again for this specific purpose.
2. It doesn't appear on the Module Manager page where the upgrades are performed, so it's not visible enough.
3. It doesn't offer any way to prompt before upgrading modules as described in my original post.

And yes of course clients don't have permission to upgrade modules. These are more notes for yourself, in cases where you develop a site and have some custom code or particular setup that upgrades might ruin. Coming back to the site 12 months later would mean you're likely to forget those nuances.

Return to “Feature ideas”