Archiving or subversion-System for sidecontent

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
Freight

Archiving or subversion-System for sidecontent

Post by Freight »

Hello,

with CMSMS I made my Homepage very simple. It is great and makes a lot of fun. Hopefully changes to single sides are very easy with the wysiwyg-editor. Unfortunatetly unwanted changes are also made quick.

I think an archiving or subversion system for the side content could be very useful. For example one can save up to (lets say) 5 versions for the content (automatically the last 5 or choosen once). If you need another version of the content or just made wrong changes you could then easily change to another version.

Another case where it could be usefull is e.g. for a Welcome-Page. On my homepage I have for that a standard-content and some times a special content. Later I want to change to the standard again. Hope you know what I mean.

I think there was a module (Archive) that would do something like that. But it has to work deep in CMSMS and work with the new version 1.0? This is the reason I think that feature should be a main part of CMSMS.

Thanks Yours Freight
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Archiving or subversion-System for sidecontent

Post by tsw »

Freight wrote: I think an archiving or subversion system for the side content could be very useful. For example one can save up to (lets say) 5 versions for the content (automatically the last 5 or choosen once). If you need another version of the content or just made wrong changes you could then easily change to another version.
Take a look at archiver module (havent used it myself, but others say its good for this)
Freight wrote: Another case where it could be usefull is e.g. for a Welcome-Page. On my homepage I have for that a standard-content and some times a special content. Later I want to change to the standard again. Hope you know what I mean.
well you could make multiple pages, take them out of the menu and then just select which one is the default page...
Freight wrote: I think there was a module (Archive) that would do something like that. But it has to work deep in CMSMS and work with the new version 1.0? This is the reason I think that feature should be a main part of CMSMS.
I think there were plans on doing archiver in 1.1..

hope this helps
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

You could use Global Content Blocks to make diff. content then when you want to change it just call the other GCB.
Freight

Post by Freight »

tsw wrote: Take a look at archiver module (havent used it myself, but others say its good for this)
Hope it will work with the new CMS-version 1.0

tsw wrote: well you could make multiple pages, take them out of the menu and then just select which one is the default page...
Thats true, but there is not only the welcome page, but also sides deeper in hirarchy.

tsw wrote: I think there were plans on doing archiver in 1.1..
That would be great :-)

mark wrote: You could use Global Content Blocks to make diff. content then when you want to change it just call the other GCB.
Ah, that i havnt tried yet. However you will agree, that this is not a very comfortable solution. Because there are some sides, that are not global, but needs different versions. Not to forgot: A feature like that (archiver) would also give first simple backup capability.

Return to “Feature ideas”