MenuManager Easier Interface & Usability

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

MenuManager Easier Interface & Usability

Post by TheLastLegion »

Recently when i submitted a bug report with something regarding to the menu, Robert Campbell i believe replied back "yeah the menu is going to get looked into again.."

So i thought of some possible modifications that could be included in new versions of the Menu Manager..

1. Ability to add custom fields for link, if we want to add special attributes to the link codes like rel?=author or adding a class to the link which is needed for Google authorship verification, so having the ability to edit the html code would be nice!

2. Ability to customize the menu to the degree like a user-defined tag. This would allow for more nicer menus, like CSS-only menus like these gorgeous ones found here:

Code: Select all

http://www.tympanus.net/Tutorials/CSSonlyMenus/
3. Like a template, attach stylesheets or link to existing stylesheet used by a template

4. An user-interface for the average user. I'd like the average user to be able to add a link to the menu without knowing how to edit templates, attachstlesheets in the MenuManager. But if they do need to edit further as mentioned in the first 3 steps to have that option. I know its easy to make a page a link thru Layout->Pages but MenuManager should have all the links and maybe different menus all listed for ease of access, edit and update.
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: MenuManager Easier Interface & Usability

Post by Wishbone »

1) I read this over and over, but still don't understand.

2) Very easy to do this. Add a custom field (one line content) to the page, and reference this in the menu template. This becomes the extra line when you hover over the menu item. When the user creates a new page, he enters the title, the 'description' (text when hovering over) and the content.

3) I don't see the need for this. Your {menu} call in the site template determines which menu template to use. Attach the correct menu stylesheet to the template.

4) One of the biggest selling points (IMO) is that the Menus aren't separate from the pages. If you want to change the menu, change, add, or remove a page) .. The menu naturally follows your page hierarchy.
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TheLastLegion »

1) see http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... swer=99170 and http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... nd=option2
I'd like to configure my links according to the different formats. If I'm not mistaken when you create page, there is only an option to place the link on the menu not necessarily customize it according to let's say the microformat.
In menumanager I import the template but still don't see a option to customize link output according to certain preferences
2) I'll look into this
3) same
4) I see your point but its called MenuManager and to the average person it's frustrating when you can't find what you're looking for. Next version if not should be called MenuTemplates. Many times I create and hand it off to a average person i''d like it to be simple. Menumanager manages all the menus, not explain page hierarchies
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Wishbone »

1) Just like #2, you can put a 'rel' one-line content block on your page. If it's filled out, use ?rel={$rel} in your link in the menu manager.

4) The name 'Menu Manager' might be misleading. However, everything in the 'Layout' menu is for the web designer, and should not be edited by average users. What I do is is create them an account that only gives them access to whatever I want them to see. I also give them an admin account and password, but only to be handed off to another web designer if I get hit by a bus.
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TheLastLegion »

I've trouble understanding the part when you mention " If it's filled out, use ?rel={$rel} in your link in the menu manager."

If what is filled out? The proper tag would be {global_content name='rel'} no? Where would you go about defining {$rel} or what does $rel point to? Is that a smarty syntax?

thanks
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

TheLastLegion wrote:I've trouble understanding the part when you mention " If it's filled out, use ?rel={$rel} in your link in the menu manager."

If what is filled out? The proper tag would be {global_content name='rel'} no?
No. I believe Wishbone meant: {content block='rel' label='Rel' oneline='true' assign='rel'} so you can use {$rel}...

http://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/tags/core/content
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TheLastLegion »

Jo thank you!
Anyhow I hope developers take these suggestions into consideration
Thanks
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Wishbone »

Yes.. that was what I meant.
TheLastLegion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by TheLastLegion »

wishbone i just realized you're the menumanager project admin 0_0
thank you for your help and response to this feature request!
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Wishbone »

I am? I didn't know that..... If you mean "Wishy", then that's the big boss...... My friends call me Wishy, but around here, Wishy is someone else. I'm the project manager of the OwnersManual module, but that's about it.

Return to “Feature ideas”