Large website admin - search and drill-down parent select

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
proboscidian
Forum Members
Forum Members

Large website admin - search and drill-down parent select

Post by proboscidian »

Large websites can be pretty cumbersome to manage in CMSMS. There are a couple of features that might make it easier.

1. Admin search, just like the regular search module, that would let the admin find pages that need editing based on indexed content (including module content in searchable modules like Cataloger).
2. A tree-like drilldown system for assigning parent pages, instead of the dropdown that lists every page all at the same time.
proboscidian
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Large website admin - search and drill-down parent sele

Post by proboscidian »

With the drilldown for selecting a parent, what would really be great is something like the way TinyMCE handles internal links. I'm working on a website with hundreds of pages, and the current dropdown is really a chore to look through.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

proboscidian wrote:1. Admin search, just like the regular search module, that would let the admin find pages that need editing based on indexed content (including module content in searchable modules like Cataloger).
Calguy was working on this. Don't know if it is gonna released in the next 1.10 release or later...

grtz. Rolf :)
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

proboscidian wrote:2. A tree-like drilldown system for assigning parent pages, instead of the dropdown that lists every page all at the same time.
What about if there was a dropdown, but there was also a text box that allowed you to type a term and it would perform a lookup of pages that either include that word (e.g. 'about') or are a child of that page (e.g. every page under 'About Us'). That might be a more flexible method of finding pages. Just a pie-in-the-sky idea though.
faglork

Post by faglork »

proboscidian wrote:With the drilldown for selecting a parent, what would really be great is something like the way TinyMCE handles internal links. I'm working on a website with hundreds of pages, and the current dropdown is really a chore to look through.
I second that.

Alex
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

faglork wrote:
proboscidian wrote:With the drilldown for selecting a parent, what would really be great is something like the way TinyMCE handles internal links. I'm working on a website with hundreds of pages, and the current dropdown is really a chore to look through.
I second that.
Me too, though I think a better way might be to have a select list that you can type into and have it auto-filter as you type. So if you want to just pick a page, it works just as it does now, but if you want to find a specific page then just click inside the field and enter a few characters.

Example (this is a multi-select, but it can be used as a standard select as well): "http://www.lessanvaezi.com/filter-select-list-options/

Return to “Feature ideas”