Usability improvements to CMSMS admin panel

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Usability improvements to CMSMS admin panel

Post by gocreative »

I have a few suggested usability changes to the admin panel:

1. Change all text editor checkboxes from 'Turn on/off WYSIWYG editor' to 'Use WYSIWYG editor' (with checked meaning 'on'). The current label is ambiguous and doesn't tell users what the current state is (on or off).

2. Similarly, some other checkbox wording is redundant. For example, 'Check this box to disable the module help link in page headers'. The words 'Check this box to' can be removed as they are implied by the state of the checkbox (checked = enabled, unchecked = disabled).

3. Also the state of the checkbox should always be positive-positive, meaning a checkbox being checked (a positive) should not indicate negative actions (such as 'disabled'). In the checkbox mentioned in point 2, the 'checked' state should be 'Enable the module help link in page headers'.

4. Change all 'red cross' icons (whose meaning may be 'inactive', 'disabled', 'not default' etc) to greyed-out 'ticks' to avoid confusion with 'delete'.

5. Make better use of tabs. For example, when adding/editing a page, the 'Options' tab has quite a lot of information. This could be separated into 'Options', 'Accessibility' and 'Attributes' (or something along those lines). The benefits of this change are a) less scrolling; and b) ability to set permissions for the display of each tab for different users.

6. Improve explanations of settings. For example under Global Settings, the explanation for 'Automatically created URL's are flat' is 'If enabled, all urls will be created as a copy of the page alias (but not synchronized to the page alias)'. This could be better worded as 'This will set all URLs to the same value as the Page Alias. Note: The two values will not be synchronised after first being set'. A minor change, but probably helpful to some less experienced users. There are countless examples of this across the site.

7. Building on the above, I would move all explanations to a 'help tooltip'. For example, a small icon at the end of the input which displays the tip when hovering over the item. This would make better use of screen real-estate.

8. When choosing multiple items from a list, such as 'Additional Editors' for pages, use checkboxes rather than CTRL+click functionality.

9. Provide the ability to auto-generate passwords for new users, as well as the option to email the login details to the user. The option to email the account info should also be present for existing accounts (including the currently logged-in user).

10. Provide the ability to add particular admin items as shortcuts. For example, editing a particular page or creating a new gallery. This way the user can navigate directly to their favourite admin pages more easily. Adding a new shortcut could be as simple as going to the page then clicking 'Save this page to my shortcuts'.

11. Move (or copy) all buttons to the top of the page. In many pages on the site, such as attaching stylesheets to a template or viewing the user list, the buttons appear at the bottom of the page. This may cause unnecessary scrolling to perform actions on the page.

12. Standardise icons for admin pages. For example, Theme Manager has a clipboard icon, but Stylesheets doesn't. I personally would remove them all, or another option would be to add to all but make the icons much smaller - they currently waste space and make the positioning of content inconsistent.

13. Left-align the content wrapper on all pages for consistency. Tables are 100% width and fluid, but most other content will depend on screen width.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Usability improvements to CMSMS admin panel

Post by jmcgin51 »

gocreative wrote: 10. Provide the ability to add particular admin items as shortcuts. For example, editing a particular page or creating a new gallery. This way the user can navigate directly to their favourite admin pages more easily. Adding a new shortcut could be as simple as going to the page then clicking 'Save this page to my shortcuts'.
Already done. CMSMS has had this for a long time. You might have this disabled in your user preferences.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

My bad. I thought shortcuts were only to listings (e.g. listing of all pages) and didn't realise you could create a shortcut from virtually anything. Thanks for pointing it out - cheers.
Rolf
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Rolf »

Hello gocreative.

Thanks for your positive remarks here. The language improvements are changed in the source code and will be shipped with the new releases.
If you have more language improvement suggestions, please let me know. You can PM/mail me if you want.

For the 1.10 release we tried to implement more tabs and grouping related options etc, like you also suggested. But it was sadly last minute skipped because of too much work and too little hands...
But we are gonna change this in a next release. This is something what bothers me too!

I can't change some other remarks you mentioned myself, but I get your point. I will try to do my best in future team-desicions to think about these. We are looking for a new admin theme to replace the default template... ;)

Again thanks for your positive feedback,

Rolf
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for the update on my suggestions (here and the other topics). I'll let you know if I have any more input regarding language files.

Cheers.

Grant
Rolf
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Rolf »

gocreative wrote:4. Change all 'red cross' icons (whose meaning may be 'inactive', 'disabled', 'not default' etc) to greyed-out 'ticks' to avoid confusion with 'delete'.
Uniqu3 tried this http://screencast.com/t/YBiZESO7
I am afraid it isn't much of an improvement. We will see what to do...

grtz. Rolf
Rolf
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Rolf »

Try OneEleven admin theme in SVN trunk (1.11) if you want to see them yourself! Probably not that bad :) We will leave it for now. Opinions?
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

This is how I've approached it in my custom admin theme.
not-active.jpg
not-active.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 6935 times

Return to “Feature ideas”