Get rid of default page in column view in the page screen

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Get rid of default page in column view in the page screen

Post by applejack »

Having the default column in the page screen with the ability to change it can be dangerous. I have had clients who have changed this accidentally before and then wondered where their home page has gone. This should be set from a drop down menu in the Site Admin > Global Settings
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Get rid of default page in column view in the page scree

Post by paulbaker »

Yes I must agree with this. It is strange that a fair proportion of real estate is taken up with this column that, in my experience, is very seldom used. ???
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

I agree. The default home page generally won't change very often, if at all.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

soulgeek wrote:I have had this issue. What i have done is set up a locked home page for the client, which only i can edit. So we could ensure nothing goes wrong even if the client mess up here and there.
What if they need to edit the home page?
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Wishbone »

I'm not sure if he's referring to page editing or 'default page' column.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Educating a client is part of a developers responsibility, they mess up enuf and they do learn ;) ...
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Dr.CSS wrote:Educating a client is part of a developers responsibility
I agree Dr. CSS! However, this option is shown on Content -> Pages - a page that is probably one of the most used. And I can imagine some users clicking one of the crosses under the Default heading by accident....and suddenly their site has "broken". From the other comments here, it sounds like this is exactly what happened.

Regardless of whether you think the client should be techie enough not to click by accident, this feature takes up space on this important page which could be better used for something else, or to space out other elements better.

I believe this rarely-used default page feature should be hidden away somewhere else where you are unlikely to change it accidently. (e.g. Site Admin -> Global Settings?)
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

Not to say I disagree with this feature request, but I rarely (if ever) allow any of my clients access to the pages tab. The contents are usually delivered trough the news module or the blog module which are the only back-office features they have access to. Well maybe along with albums, videos, newsletters, statistics... but most of the sensitive parts of the site are off-limits to them, fortunately without any complaints so far. ;)

PS: BTW it would probably be a simple feature just to add a permission to change the default page... ???
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

paulbaker wrote:
Dr.CSS wrote:Educating a client is part of a developers responsibility
I agree Dr. CSS! However, this option is shown on Content -> Pages - a page that is probably one of the most used. And I can imagine some users clicking one of the crosses under the Default heading by accident....and suddenly their site has "broken". From the other comments here, it sounds like this is exactly what happened.

Regardless of whether you think the client should be techie enough not to click by accident, this feature takes up space on this important page which could be better used for something else, or to space out other elements better.

I believe this rarely-used default page feature should be hidden away somewhere else where you are unlikely to change it accidently. (e.g. Site Admin -> Global Settings?)
+1

Return to “Feature ideas”