Custom fields for content pages

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Custom fields for content pages

Post by gocreative »

I would like to see more flexibility with the {content} section of the page. For example, the ability to create custom fields for each Page or Template. My reasoning for this is that it can be quite complicated to provide advanced editing functionality for users in a simple way.

An example of this is a company that sells flowers. Most pages on the site are just normal templates, but on some specific pages which detail the types and colours of flowers sold, the user can choose which Gallery or file(s) to be displayed on the page, and where.

In this example, adding custom fields to the template such as 'Gallery to display' (which prompts to choose a gallery), 'Colour' (text input field) and 'Grown in country' (select field with options configurable by the user) would greatly enhance the ease of the user adding content.

The custom fields would be selects, inputs, radio buttons, textareas etc.

Forgive me if this already exists; I've created a number of CMSMS websites but haven't delved too deeply into that functionality - I just know it's not completely covered by the core.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Custom fields for content pages

Post by calguy1000 »

2 Addon modules can handle adding extended functionality to the content pages:

CGContentUtils and AdvancedContent
CGContentUtils provides a few content utilities (besides different types of content blocks dropdowns, checkboxes, etc). It allows for exporting and importing content, bulk copying of content, and exporting module templates, etc.

AdvancedContent provides an additional type of content object with extended functionalities from the standard one.

These are two different projects with different goals, and you may see the need for one, or both of them on different projects.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Custom fields for content pages

Post by gocreative »

Thanks for the reply... I'll look into both of those. I really appreciate your help!

Return to “Feature ideas”