Theme Options

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
uniqu3

Theme Options

Post by uniqu3 »

Since there are plans to include jquery in the backend i wonder if there would be possibility to include adding IDs and classes to input fields in backend.

What i mean is for example when creating a Theme i often use oneline content blocks to do certain stuff and save me and enduser from choosing correct layout from 3-4 different themes.
If there would be something like {content block="Something" online='true' backendid='myid'} this would give possibilities to add some fancy jQuery stuff like jquery UI colorpickers or datepickers and other things.

Another thing i am missing in CMSMS is sort of better Theme control ala Wordpress.
In Wordpress you are able to add functions.php file that gives you ability to control your Theme with "Theme Control" and have options like change colors, add header sliders and things like this.
I don't mean this should be exactly like this but it could be sort of like this when we create theme we could do something like:
{capture assign='color'}{template block='choosecolor' oneline='true'}{/capture}
{cms_stylesheet} {*includes core stylesheet*}
{cms_stylesheet name=$color}{*by entering for example red, stylesheet named red is applied*}
Screenshots and Description maybe even preview would also be nice enhancement to Theme Manager.

It's just my 2c for better theme control.

Edit: for example NaN has done some great work with AdvancedContent module and with Peciuras help i have found a good solution to create something like template control. But still this set up is to complicated because another blank template needs to be created and a page that is used only for template options and not visible in the frontend.
Where again we need other modules like AdvancedContent and CGSimpleSmarty to achieve this.
See screenshots to get the picture what i actually mean.
Attachments
templateoptions.PNG
pages.PNG
templatecontroltemplate.PNG
logo-option.PNG
Last edited by uniqu3 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Theme Options

Post by calguy1000 »

a) You can use the jquery datepicker on your fields easily now.  ID's are not necessary, just some smarter jquery selectors.  There's no need to modify code.

i.e:

Code: Select all

<div class="datefield">{content block=the_date oneline=true}</div>

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
  jQuery('.datefield :input').datepicker();
});
b) I don't really understand what you're talking about wrt the theming.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Thanks Calguy,

a) if i am not wrong here you are pointing this to the frontend (i can deal with frontend), but what i am talking about is the backend or does my get displayed in backend when editing page?

b) regarding themes i mean something like this http://wpshout.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... screen.jpg
At the moment we have the possibility to add content blocks, content_image and so on but this again depends on settings for each page but not the whole theme. So what i would like to see/have/achieve is something like the example from the link "Your theme name Options" this could either be new link in "Layout" or "Layout -> Template -> and another button like Attach Stylesheet" or simply a sidebar in theme edit mode where different options (depending on what was predefined) like for example  "choose predefined theme color" (if theme has more color options), "choose sidebar position", "display block1", "display block 2" are displayed.

My aim is to be able to create more dynamic and optional themes without depending on bunch of modules and per page settings. At least i think this would contribute to more Theme development love/popularity like Wordpress enjoys.
Last edited by uniqu3 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

maybe you could achieve this with advancedcontent and content_dump (and supersizer).
you set one page for template options. make sure its not visible (show in menu=false). the page gets it own template (with advancedcontent, it provides filepicker, dropdowns and checkboxes). then you can fetch the parameter and values, which are predefined in the page by using content_dump in your target template.  its a lot of smarty code but not that complicated i think!
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Hi nicmare,

thank you i do use this combination and simple smarty to get the content from template control (thanks to peciura for the tip) at the moment, but this is easy for me not the end user.
Explaining go first to page"something" to control your page layout, save it than go to scriptdeploy, click clear cache, go back to pages, choose options for different pages from tabs and so on.

It was just a suggestion to add more features to themes directly in theme manager instead of using another template for options only and script deploy and page to control all this stuff.

Advanced Content is for me personally great help an i hope to see something like this integrated in the core from 2.0  :) but still if you take a look at some good quality WP themes you will see that allot of these have like multiple color options, menu layouts and stuff like this integrated  within functions.php what would possibly attract more people to theme cmsms.
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

i understand. then write a feature request!  ;)

Return to “Feature ideas”