Better seo friendly url support

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Better seo friendly url support

Post by tyman00 »

That's the thing, I am sure for every link you can find that talks about the benefit of short url's you can find another that talks about the benefit of longer hierarchical urls.

wiseguy - Honestly, I think the majority of what you want to do with your navigation can be done without the need to create a separate section header like that.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
wiseguy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wiseguy »

tyman00 wrote: That's the thing, I am sure for every link you can find that talks about the benefit of short url's you can find another that talks about the benefit of longer hierarchical urls.

wiseguy - Honestly, I think the majority of what you want to do with your navigation can be done without the need to create a separate section header like that.
You're probably right about that. However, my point is still to let the webmasters choose for themselves which url structure to use and that the only way to find out which structure works best for a particular site is to test and evaluate different structures. This has been limited in the last release, version 1.8.

I'm all ears about what other methods I could use to create the additional menus and the country/city listings without getting a hierarchical url structure. I would also like to know how to re-implement use_hierarchy=false in version 1.8. The thing (that maybe could be a reason why we have different views on this issue) is that I'm not a programmer, but I've done some forum reading and after some trial & error I found the child page method to work just fine for my needs.
wiseguy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by wiseguy »

Dr.CSS wrote: Nice article on SEO, too bad that page source is so screwed up it can't even be run thru validation which in my experience screws with SEO...
Interesting point. Your experience tells you that sites with w3c-validated code performs better with regards to seo. Would you be happy if you upgrade to the next cmsms version and find out that there's been a change so your sites all of a sudden no longer validate? If my experience tells me that short, non-hierarchical urls works best for my sites, should I be happy about the use_hierarchy=true change in version 1.8?

Return to “Feature ideas”