Menu sortings and page-splitting

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
sgtstevil
Forum Members
Forum Members

Menu sortings and page-splitting

Post by sgtstevil »

What would make me more flexible in use of CMS Made Simple are the options to split a menu out across pages and to sort them by different fields, say for example the following:

I use menu to list events for a customer of mine (an Event is a page with several fields). At the moment i've made 3 different fields (Date_day, Date_month and Day_year) to display the name of the Event. If this could be a single date-field and I could sort this by date, it would save them alot of work.

For another client (a booking agency) i've made a page with an overview of artists. They'd like to sort this page according to what order of photo's looks best, but in the detailpage for an artist they'd like an alphabetical overview instead of it being sorted in the same way as the photo's. This could simply be solved by sorting the menu alphabetically, but that's not an option in the menu-tag.

If you have big lists and lots of pages it'd also be nice to be able to break it up in pages in the same way you can with the {news} tag...

Just my 50 cents :).
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Menu sortings and page-splitting

Post by calguy1000 »

for this type of stuff it's best not to try to 'shoehorn' pages to do a job its not really meant for.

Use modules.
Like CGCalendar or CompanyDirectory.

You can easily build navigations from the summary outputs of each of these modules, including pagination in most cases.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
sgtstevil
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sgtstevil »

Hi CG,

Thanks for the response (and your community-work of course :) ).

I've used CGCalendar (on www.twig-bookings.com for example), and I understand the purpose of modules for these kinds of things, but the second i start using CGCalendar I give up clean URL's for example... If this would be a flexibility built into the CMS (more "block"-types then just text and image and sorting), I wouldn't have to install the modules you mentioned... I've yet to find a CMS that does this in the way I want it to without becoming overly complex, but it'd make things much easier for me.
sgtstevil
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sgtstevil »

Also, don't forget that we're not all hardcore-developers, some of us are "just frontenders". CMSMS stood out for me by giving me tools to make technically sane and manageable websites without an absurd learning-curve, and extending functionality to support pagination and sortings per standard would make it alot more powerful for me. Maybe take a look at how MODx CMS combined with their Ditto snippet solve this problem...
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kermit »

sgtstevil wrote: I use menu to list events for a customer of mine (an Event is a page with several fields). At the moment i've made 3 different fields (Date_day, Date_month and Day_year) to display the name of the Event. If this could be a single date-field and I could sort this by date, it would save them alot of work.
I've used news module with custom fields and templates for events listings, complete with categories, sorted listings by month and year (optionally 'expiring' past events), and event detail pages. Works pretty well, once you get everything set up.
Last edited by kermit on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info

Return to “Feature ideas”