Expand control of permissions for File/Image Manager

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
zeroality
Forum Members
Forum Members

Expand control of permissions for File/Image Manager

Post by zeroality »

I suggested this on the CMSMS page on UserVoice and thought some of you may be interested in discussing this and perhaps commenting/voting for the idea on UserVoice. Here is my suggestion:

The File/Image manager permissions are currently very limited. You can either allow or disallow access per group and that's it. My suggestion is to expand permission control to include permissions related to deleting and overwriting images/files. Currently, you can set permissions for users to be able to edit pages but not delete them, so why not this?

And before you argue that they can just overwrite pages, thus an overwrite protection is not needed for the file/image manager, keep in mind that there is an Archiver module which tracks changes made to pages and preserves them in the database. So you DO have control whether pages are overwritten or not, as you can simply restore a page to a previous version.

This is not possible with the File/Image Manager so we definitely need to be able to manage overwrite permissions as well as delete permissions. Thanks for reading.
daveneil

Re: Expand control of permissions for File/Image Manager

Post by daveneil »

Yes I agree, you only seem to be able to turn Modify Files on or off which gives full permission to delete other files etc, so if a user needs to insert an image for their page they can also see all the other files on the system : ( . image manager only would be good, and only upload into a set folder.
Stryker777
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Stryker777 »

I can agree with this.  I am in need of just image manager permissions so I can keep a blogger confined.
NikNak
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by NikNak »

I have had the same issue - and have resolved it using Advanced Content and now GBFilePicker. Now I give no-one access to the troublesome filepicker and image manager - out of harms way.

Return to “Feature ideas”