template contest for more templates

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
dennyhalim

template contest for more templates

Post by dennyhalim »

imho,
one major thing holding back cmsms from the large public is the lack of tempates.
both free and paid templates, lots of them, will push cmsms to larger public.

so i suggest cmsms to create a template contest.

gather designers to create lots of templates.
ask some sponsors to give out rewards.
i might be able to sponsor for few hosting accounts if you actually do this.

tnx
cmsms very simple indeed.
www.dennyhalim.com
Dr.CSS

Re: template contest for more templates

Post by Dr.CSS »

Go for it...
Somebody_1
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Somebody_1 »

I agree, sounds like a good idea.
jwaldeck

Post by jwaldeck »

Totally agree!

And if you guys don't get the sponsors, do something like this: every designers pays U$S 10 to get into the competition, both to help the development of this awesome piece of software and also to help gathering the final price.

For example, if 100 designers join, it would be 800 dollar price (CMSMS team should keep 20%), or 500 for the 1st place, 200 for the 2nd and 100 for the 3rd.

Or some other crazy idea like that! But more templates (and maybe paid modules like Joomla) would definitely make this CMS rock even more!!!

Cheers!
jw
Deak

Post by Deak »

I'm not sure we'd get 100 designers paying $10; I'm not sure we'd get 20, to be honest.

However, if there was an option for paid templates for CMS Made Simple I would definitely be interested in contributing.
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

dennyhalim wrote: imho,
one major thing holding back cmsms from the large public is the lack of tempates.
both free and paid templates, lots of them, will push cmsms to larger public.

so i suggest cmsms to create a template contest.

gather designers to create lots of templates.
ask some sponsors to give out rewards.
i might be able to sponsor for few hosting accounts if you actually do this.

tnx
I think there are plenty templates to choose from but the problem in CMSMS is the module and plugin area. Me for example have already psent hours searching for appropriate modules and functions i needed on some websites just to figure out that the found module is either no longer being developed or incomatible with the version i am currently working.

Actually the whole concept how CMSMS is being presented should be changed. The design of the offical website is no longer up to date and to draw peoples attention you need that wow effect, i love this cms, the community and the way how i can build sites with it, but to be honest when i visited the site for the first time i didn't see the power of it.
If you take a look at Silverstripe, Concrete5, TypoLight or MODx which i believe are direct competitors to CMSMS you can see "big bold act now buttons", "screncast sections", "showcases of sites built with the tool" and a well yes these competitors have active Twitter or Facebook community which CMSMS doesn't have and today without social media you are lost.

I also believe that concrete5 does a nice example how to get some development going on with their marketplace or i have also seen examples like Pligg where some users would like to have some certain modules, plugins or whatever, a developer who thinks he can handle it says hes price community puts money together and voila you have a strongly needed offical module for the next release (much faster than normal)  and you didn't do all the work for free.

Well i could continue with suggestions and ideas for the next 200 lines but the reason i posted here was that it's not templates CMSMS is lacking of but more the overall presence. I know i have a Mercedes with CMSMS once i started using it but at the first impression it doesn't look like Mercedes :-)
compufairy
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by compufairy »

I know this is quite an old post, but I would like to kick it back to live in a way... As you all know we are putting a lot of effort in a better presentation and presence.

I would like to invite all who have such great ideas to drop me a mail, you'll find the address in my profile and here: http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/about-link/about-us/

Thanks a lot in advance!

Anne-Mieke
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur..." (Red Adair)
missshoes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by missshoes »

i would like to participate:) can make html+css, but need help with a bit of developing n fixing mistakes as php is an african forest to me lol
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

@missshoes

If you need any help with themes you are going to upload to the theme site I will gladly help you.

mark

Return to “Feature ideas”