mod_rewrite links

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
miss_d_bus
Forum Members
Forum Members

mod_rewrite links

Post by miss_d_bus »

I have set it up so Apache changes the links from say index.php=?123 to bob.html
The thing I noticed in the CMS admin is when you want to add an "internal" link, say to link to john.html, you have only really 2 choices, write it manually in the source code of the page which for me is fine but the alternative would be to use the button in FCKeditorX which doesnt adhere to the mod_rewrite rules and therefore adds the link as index.php=?345, not john.html
If there is a less technical person using the CMS, they might not think to edit the source code of the page and even if they do, they aren't likely to know how to change it. IT would be nice to have a check option or something in the admin or in the installation process where you specify if you are going to use apache rewrite so then it automatically picks up the page name aliases rather than the numerical names. I realise not everyone uses Apache but I would find this feature to benefit me greatly in ensuring that the page names are a constant rather than a mixture between "real names" and the number ids.

Is this something that can be technically achieved?

Thanks,
Catherine
miss_d_bus
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: mod_rewrite links

Post by miss_d_bus »

hmmm this is odd then because i have set it to true in config.php and added the .htaccess file in root. It does seem to work a bit because the files in the menu on the site do end in .html
Where i am not sure it does is in the page design section of the admin.
I'll have another look anyway and see what is up in the admin area as the settings are definitely right and the .htaccess file is in place.

Thanks,
Catherine

Return to “Feature ideas”