Photo Gallery module

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
Piratos

Re: Photo Gallery module

Post by Piratos »

No answers but the first screenshot of plugin pipictures.
The comment comes from the Exif data of the picture itself.
The title of the gallery is the name of the folder.
Thumbs are made automatically if they not exists or the user changes the size of it.
All values are exported to smarty so someone can made templates to work with slideshowscripts as he want.
The visitor can change the gallery  with the standard-template with an option select form.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Last edited by Piratos on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westis

Post by westis »

Piratos, sounds cool with your piPictures gallery!

1. The first thing I wonder is about the usability for people who don't know anything about FTP. Can images be uploaded using the Image Manager? That would of course mean they come to uploads/images/PiPicture instead, but perhaps the user could set that option in an admin interface, what folder to use?

I see usability for newbies as one of the most important, probably THE most important reason that I am using CMS Made Simple. Most of the users that I make web-sites for have no knowledge whatsoever of PHP, HTML, CSS or FTP. So they require a very simple admin interface for each module/plugin, where they can change the settings easily.

2. The other question I had, can comments be added/modified afterwards? I usually upload images to a gallery that don't have a description in the EXIF and sometimes I'd like a different description in the gallery than what is in the EXIF.

3. My third question is how the size of the images and the thumbnails are set? Can that also be done through an admin interface?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

PiPictures should not be a replacement of other gallery scripts or a new script that makes allways the same as the others.
So they require a very simple admin interface
My plugins never need admin interface.
people who don't know anything about FTP
Somone who install a cms must be able to play with a ftp - program and so he is able to transfer pictures (and this is simpler).

With ftp - programs you are able to transfer all pictures of a gallery at once, with the image-manager you can only send one after another.

But is no problem to use the image-manager, uploads/images/PiPictures is standard, all other you can set with parameter.

What do you do , if you have a digital camera ?

If you finished a series of pictures, you make a new folder with a name that say something to you about the content and copy all pictures in this folder.
This is here the same - the name of the folder is the title of the gallery.

A digital camera named the pictures IMG001.JPG or so.

A modern Digital camera has many pixels (a small camera easy 1600 x 1200 px) and so one picture can have megabytes filesize.
That is not the recommended size for a web.
The time to transfer pictures from home to webserver and than from webserver to the visitors is too much.

So each picture that was marked to publish in the web must be reduced to what you need.

A width of < 700 px is a good solution.

Do do this modifaction a program like photoshop or gimp or whatever makes the work.
With these programs you can set your comments so easy as you reduce the size of the picture.
Only type you words and save it. And - years after you have make this work, your comments exists.
That is the best place to make it.

So i say - if someone wants to publish his pictures in the web he is able to use gimp and co and can make comments, if he wish.
I'd like a different description in the gallery than what is in the EXIF
If you want to have another comment you must change the comment in exif - no other way!
My third question is how the size of the images and the thumbnails are set?
The size of the thumbnails  is set by parameter thumbsize. if you change the size new thumbs created.
The thumbnails are in the folder thumbs with the same name as the big  picture.

The size of pictures is set by one parameter maxwidth.
The width of a picture is a critical moment by a web, because if the width is greater as your format, your design was destroyed.
So width and height was set by PiPictures as a smarty value.
It gets the original values from the pictures, evaluate the ratio and writes new values to smarty.
If the orignal width is <= as maxwidth the original value was set.
All very simple (that is always my way).

You can get several smarty outputs, controlable with parameter.
So you are able to make templates to use a javascript slideshow , if you wish.
Last edited by Piratos on Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
westis

Post by westis »

Thanks for your response.
Piratos wrote:
people who don't know anything about FTP
Somone who install a cms must be able to play with a ftp - program and so he is able to transfer pictures (and this is simpler).
My users never install CMSMS, I do. Most often I also do the layout, so all they have to do is enter content and add news. What I'd need for those sites is a simple photo gallery like Plogger or M2, where all is run from the admin.
With ftp - programs you are able to transfer all pictures of a gallery at once, with the image-manager you can only send one after another.
That's a good point and can be very useful sometimes, depending on who is managing the site. However, I hope a batch upload feature will be added to the Image Manager at some point.
Do do this modifaction a program like photoshop or gimp or whatever makes the work.
With these programs you can set your comments so easy as you reduce the size of the picture.
Only type you words and save it. And - years after you have make this work, your comments exists.
That is the best place to make it.
That's another good point. I think for a gallery on my own site (whenever I get around to make it) this would be very useful. But for many of the sites I make for others they would also not know how to use Photoshop or Gimp. But it's good to have different gallery solutions for different purposes.
The size of the thumbnails  is set by parameter thumbsize. if you change the size new thumbs created.
The thumbnails are in the folder thumbs with the same name as the big  picture.

The size of pictures is set by one parameter maxwidth.
Cool. Again, I think this will be useful for some, while other solutions may fit better for other needs. That's the good thing with a community project like this, that people can develop extensions from different points-of-views and for different kinds of needs. I'll try this out after Christmas!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

:D
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

not know how to use Photoshop or Gimp
That was so at the beginning of computing.
My 76 years old grandmother make pictures with a digital  camera, arranged it with a program, makes picture dvd's and prints and this is no joke - she has learnd it only be herself.

Millions of digital cameras are sold in germany only this year and all are bundeld with such software.

Such a success would not happen if peoples have problems with this.
people can develop extensions from different points-of-views and for different kinds of needs
And that is good.
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

The last Beta is ready - here with the standard-template.

Piratos

Post by Piratos »

You must wait some days - i make actually templates - two are ready.

1. standard.template
2. slideshowtemplate
3. and this Karussel

for 2 and 3 i found nice javascripts that works with this template.

Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Here you can see it in action

http://czcms.cz.funpic.de/index.php?page=28

Download in 1 - 2 days.
Piratos

PiPictures 1.0 is available

Post by Piratos »

You can download it via dev.

Handbook in german as pdf separatly, but the help tag only in english.
Piratos

PiPictures 1.01 Update recommended

Post by Piratos »

In the first 1.00 package are by mistake older beta templates with beta errors.

In 1.01  are the right templates.

now 4 templates are include:

Standard
Karussell
Slide
Flipbook
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

Installed 1.01 -- great start and it almost works  :(

In Internet explorer, running from windows XP, the first photo shows up with the thumbnails below. When I click on any other thumbnail it puts the word selected over the thumbnail but the above photo is replaced with empty space. Same result using the Prev and Next buttons. HTML Source shows no size for the height and width of the image.

In Firefox 1.5 the plugin works except all the photos that are shown subsequent to the first are not resized to the maxwidth of 450. They are all shown full size. HTML Source shows no size for the height and width of the image.

Looks like the width="px" height="px" is causing the problem in both browsers.

The tag I am using is:
{PiPictures default="flowers" maxwidth=450 template="pipic.tpl"}
also tried with quotes around the 450 -- no change.
Last edited by Greg on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Could be 2 problems.

You start your pic page  with Pics.shtml

http://www.gregbloor.com/Pics.shtml

If you click next this was added

?page=27&pigallery=flowers&next=morning_glory_0016.jpg

This results in your page to

http://www.gregbloor.com/Pics.shtml?pag ... y_0016.jpg

Pics.shtml can this never find. Here you must change the template to get the full url with index.php.

if the function exif_read_data exist  the values height and weight comes from the exif.

if your version does not work fine this values may be zero and resizing has no values to work.

I can do something to going round this problem.

i make a new update tomorrow.
-----------------
1.02 is ready
Last edited by Piratos on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

Hi Piratos,
I installed 1.02 with no change.
If you click on the thumbnail the proper url is generated - however the photo still has width="px" height="px" in the html source resulting in no photo showing.

Url generated from the thumbclick is
http://www.gregbloor.com/index.php?page ... y_0003.jpg
Greg
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Greg »

Hi Piratos,

The template pipicslide.tpl works perfectly in both IE and Firefox.

Update:
I have the pipic.tpl working,  line 64 of function.PiPictures.php has an extra c in $pipic

Debug is showing the following errors:
Notice: Undefined index: extension in D:\AAAWeb\cms\plugins\function.PiPictures.php on line 111

Notice: Undefined index: comment in D:\AAAWeb\cms\tmp\templates_c\%%BC^BC2^BC21A3CB%%pipic.tpl.php on line 58

Notice: Undefined index: comments in D:\AAAWeb\cms\tmp\templates_c\%%BC^BC2^BC21A3CB%%pipic.tpl.php on line 59
Last edited by Greg on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Piratos

Post by Piratos »

Line 111  is $endung=strtolower($path_parts['extension']); // only jpg are available for this plugin

// is an allowed comment in php

in ine 58 and 59 of pipic.tpl are no comments.

The only comment is in line 55 {* Show the thumbnails *} and this is an allowed smarty comment.

my debuggers ( with Xdebug v2.0.0beta5-dev, Copyright (c) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, by Derick Rethans    with DBG v2.11.32, (C) 2000,2005, by Dmitri Dmitrienko) shows no errors.

That must be a debugger issue by your debuggers

Return to “Feature ideas”