Metadata tags

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
gap_tooth_clan

Metadata tags

Post by gap_tooth_clan »

I find the way to add metadata to pages is really bad, to give it to a client and say if you want to add metadata you have to type in the html code, is a little ridiculous. Surely there should be three fields one for meta description, keywords and then a box to add in any other metadata needed.

My current work around for this is to add extra content fields to the template, it is messy but looking through the sites code at 4pm was not a good option!

My friend also spent a long time coding metadata tags for the news section, surely these should be in place too.

These are really key to improving a sites ranking through natural search. (ps SEO is the bane of my life)
superwad
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Metadata tags

Post by superwad »

I just encountered this today.  I have a user who was adding content, and she found the Options tab under the page.  So, merrily on her way, she entered plain text keywords in the metadata field.  I came to check out the site today, and I see plain text in the . 

I think the metadata section of global and per-page should be changed to include the major metadata tags, with the option to enter others as necessary. This would be a good step in ease of use for the average user who doesn't know tags.
Tigerswallowtail

Post by Tigerswallowtail »

I absolutely agree about users being unable to add meta data. I have developed "SEO Cheat Sheets" for my clients with the code to copy and paste into the text areas under the Options tab BUT my clients still make many mistakes and some just don't get it at all. I don't think they should have to get it. I think there should be a field for each of the meta tag types (keywords, description, etc.) that is obvious to even the most neophyte users.

I also think that each website page should have an input box for adding unique page-specific tracking code. I have my CSS developer automatically add it to all my CMS Made Simple sites anyhow. That way marketers can copy and paste tracking code -- Google AdWords, for example -- to the specific page that is considered a conversion.
alby

Post by alby »

I do not understand ... cmsms is so flexible ....  ;)

You can use in template:
{metadata}

{stylesheet}

Alby
gap_tooth_clan

Post by gap_tooth_clan »

Yes i have tried this before but it just seems a little backwards, considering every page should have meta data on it.

Another big problem we had to work around was metadata for news articles, every news article should be able to add its own meta data too.

I hate SEO it ruins my day more than transparency and IE6
dendle

Post by dendle »

Just a quick post to add to this thread......A great tool for automatically including metadata information on News items (or any page for that matter) is the {autometa} plugin.  It can be found in the CMSMS forge.  I have also included a direct link to this plugin......http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/autometa

Hope this helps.
-- if the facts dont fit the theory, change the theory--
dmaireroa
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmaireroa »

I thought this was an issue too, even though haven't been around for a while. Thanks for the link dendle, I downloaded file 'function.autometa.php' so what do I do with it or where do I put the file?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmaireroa
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmaireroa »

I noticed this on every page
Are we able to remove it?
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

When you are in admin look at the tabs up top, go thru and start at the left top and look at each page under each tab, I bet you find lots of things you never saw before...
dmaireroa
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmaireroa »

Dr. CSS wrote: When you are in admin look at the tabs up top, go thru and start at the left top and look at each page under each tab, I bet you find lots of things you never saw before...
I know for sure there is still a lot to learn on how to use cmsms since I'm still a newbie here. It would help a lot more if you can please give me a precise direction e.g. content > file manager > answer, this avoids the run around. Thanks but you might as well say 'top, left, 45degrees, alpha 1, bottom, etc' lol. If I knew an answer for someone's question, then I won't hesitate to direct them in the right and precise place. Thank you.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

Site Admin > Global Settings > General Settings
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

So you think it was ok to wait for a day or two for someone to tell you exactly where to go to change this when it would have taken just a few minutes of your time to get yourself better acquainted with this system and most likely answered some of the questions you may have in the future...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for a lifetime...
dmaireroa
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmaireroa »

Dr. CSS wrote: So you think it was ok to wait for a day or two for someone to tell you exactly where to go to change this when it would have taken just a few minutes of your time to get yourself better acquainted with this system and most likely answered some of the questions you may have in the future...

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he feeds himself for a lifetime...
Sometimes those minutes turns into hours for a newbie like me, and if you have that thinking for every newbie then you must be joking right? I don't have a problem learning and reading tutorials on how to use cmsms. But when you have video tutorials that has no audio and no an explanation on how it works, then it can become very frustrating. By the way, some of those documentation are filled with blanks, making it even more harder to find answers. That's so funny when you can create an application and do not have a full manual on how it works. I learn a lot from a video tutorial than a written document, I can be versatile at the same time and read it if I have to but yeah everyone works differently though.
jmcgin51 wrote: Site Admin > Global Settings > General Settings
I can learn a lot more from this example above.

If I was mod, I'll be thinking about everyone's level and not just my own.

I know very well how this quotation works:
This depends on how you teach someone.

Please be patient with me I am still learning.

Peace!

P.S Thanks jmcgin51
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmaireroa
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmaireroa »

jmcgin51 wrote: Site Admin > Global Settings > General Settings
Thanks again jmcgin51, I removed the metadata code.
CHEERS :)

Return to “Feature ideas”