Custom formatting of ordered lists?

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
gpetty

Custom formatting of ordered lists?

Post by gpetty »

I'm new to CMSMS and am now adding content to my newly created site (latest software). I'm running into a limitation of ordered lists in the default configuration, in that I'm unable to find a way to generate a nested list in which the sub-items get letters rather than numbers. For example, I might like

1. First item
2. Second item
-> a) first sub-item
-> b) second sub-item

etc. Instead, I get

1. First item
2. Second item
-> 1. first sub-item
-> 2. second sub-item

Is there a simple way to set the desired list format as the default style for nested ordered lists without writing raw HTML or CSS?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Custom formatting of ordered lists?

Post by DIGI3 »

If you want that to be the default site-wide, the easiest way would be to add this to your stylesheet:

Code: Select all

ol ol {
  list-style-type: lower-alpha;
}
If you want it to be optional for the editor then you'd need to add a style or format option to the wysiwyg editor. The default MicroTiny editor has minimal options by design, so the third-party TinyMCE editor might be a better option as it's fully customizable.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
gpetty

Post by gpetty »

Thank you. I'm new enough to CMSMS that I don't know yet where that fragment would go. Is there already a top-level stylesheet that is loaded by default for all pages? Or do I need to create one? Ideally, it would be one that is preserved through software updates.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Stylesheets are attached to your design in the same way templates are. Layout > Design Manager > Stylesheets.

In Content Manager it will show which template and design a page is attached to. Any stylesheet attached to a design will be loaded by {cms_stylesheet} in the page template. There's more advanced options but that's the basic method.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
gpetty

Post by gpetty »

Worked -- thanks!

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”