Sticky Menu or Floating Header

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
helpme2understand

Sticky Menu or Floating Header

Post by helpme2understand »

I am a newbie to CMSMS and looking for a simple way to maintain a personal site. I have used some complex cms's in the past but this cms looks like it may be a good fit. I am not a coder however I have some knowledge of HTML and PHP. Could someone tell me before I invest a lot of time and learning CMSMS, is it possible to create a template that uses a basic page with a sticky or floating head or top menu? Thanks in advance.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Sticky Menu or Floating Header

Post by DIGI3 »

You can do whatever you like - CMSMS doesn't generate the html/css/js for you, although there are some sample templates included.

I would suggest getting to know an html framework - Bootstrap and Foundation are popular choices. I use Foundation's sticky header for most of my CMSMS-built sites.

If you look at the themes offered by our sponsors (see logos on the cmsmadesimple.org homepage), some of them have sticky headers and there are one or two you can download for free to either use completely, or as a reference to creating your own.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

helpme2understand wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:29 pm is it possible to create a template that uses a basic page with a sticky or floating head or top menu?
Welcome. As DIGI3 has said, anything you can do in HTML you can do in CMSMS. So the answer to your question is yes.

It's all done with templates and replacing static text in your HTML template with tags like

Code: Select all

<h1>{title}</h1>
for the title of your page.

Learn about templates and a lot more here:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/layout/d ... n-template
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
helpme2understand

Post by helpme2understand »

Thanks, I did find the templates and I am now trying to get the theme to work and add content. I do have a question about all the other content types and designs, should all the other templates and content types than the template I wish to use be deleted?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

You don't need to delete them, no. The default templates are good to use for reference, they include a fair bit of documentation. If you find the templates list too cluttered there is a filter.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
musicscore
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by musicscore »

If you have a little knowlegde of html, smarty and css almost everything is possible with CMSMS.

If you want a sticky menu at the top of eacht page, just create a template using smarty/html/css and in CSS (which can be in the database or external) use dsiplay: fixed.

I used joomla and Wordpress in the past but when it comes to flexiblity for the designer and easy to use for the end-user, CMSMS is by far the best.
(except if you want to build a webshop in my opinion)
kiwii

Post by kiwii »

Hello,

As those above me say, anything is possible. You just have to get used to understanding how CMSMS works.

Sticky is used in Boostrap so if you're afraid you won't be able to integrate the js, I advise you to use Boostrap (just for navigation).

A piece of advice for navigation: it's better to create two Templates :
- generic body for the nav part + class
- Navigator for the link part.

You incorporate the second one into the first one and then the first one into the main template where you want your navigation.

Afterwards if you want to use a level navigation some topics on the forum talk about it.

Afterwards if you don't want to use Bootstrap, I advise you to start checking that your js works by putting it between {literal} code {/literal}.

It would have helped me a month ago when I started on CMSMS to know this ^^

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”