Beginner's guide to html and css

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
gustavowoltmann01

Beginner's guide to html and css

Post by gustavowoltmann01 »

I know some of us here know how to start with html and css but for beginners, do we have a guide or tips on how to start?
chandra

Re: Beginner's guide to html and css

Post by chandra »

Please check this out

http://www.w3schools.com/

Here you will find all you need ;).
SFITCS
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by SFITCS »

IMHO the best short guide is the Google: HTML, CSS, and Javascript from the Ground Up on YouTube. You'll find the course guide materials here.

You'll find many tutorials and guides on the Mozilla Developer Network (the folks behind Firefox and Thunderbird). You might want to start with Learning Web Development, and also take a look at Tutorials links.

There are also a number of HTML/CSS/Web developer courses (no cost) available on Udacity. You might like the Intro to HTML and CSS.

W3C (the organisation that manages HTML and CSS standards, not the commercial W3schools site which has no association with W3C despite the deceptive name choice), also has a number of courses available. The courses have no cost unless you'd like a Verified Certificate.

Codecademy has Web courses, like the introductory HTML & CSS course.

EdX also has courses (most cost money, but are well recognised).
SFITCS
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by SFITCS »

One resource I forgot to include is the excellent (and no cost) Web Development training available at The Odin Project.

Basic HTML and CSS knowledge is not the same as skills. i.e. most people "know" HTML and CSS, but only a very small percentage can do anything useful with that knowledge (which is why most websites are rubbish). The best explanation I've read on the subject is by Anika Henke - well worth taking 3 minutes to read.

Why is that important, or relevant? (especially given the ease with which you can create templates and themes in CMSMS based on existing work). If you know what "good enough" is you can determine how much you need to know, and value what you've learned appropriately. It's only when you know a subject well that you can spot the difference between excellent and average but flashy.

HTH
gustavowoltmann01

Post by gustavowoltmann01 »

chandra wrote:Please check this out

http://www.w3schools.com/

Here you will find all you need ;).
This is great! Thanks a lot!

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”