Template character or line limitation - some code deleted

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Template character or line limitation - some code deleted

Post by elkman »

I have run into an issue for the first time. I am converting a purchased theme Canvas for use with CMSMS. I have done many of these but have run into a problem for the first time.

I seem to not able to convert the initial template page into a CMS template page. The raw page has 1734 lines of code. When this page is pasted into the new CMS template page with the appropriate {content} tags only 1282 lines of code appear after saving the new template. This of course breaks the page completely.

I know the CSS files have limitations and always break down these massive CSS files to 1000-1200 lines and then attach to the template file without any problem. Though it did take a long time to find that there was a limit to the size of a CSS file in CMS Made Simple.

It appears now that there is also a line/code character limit for a CMS template page. I can't find this information anywhere and would appreciate any feedback assistance before spending hours on trial and error trying to use Global Content Blocks in an effort to circumvent this issue.

This is for a 1.12.2 platform. I am most comfortable with this platform at this time. I am just starting to convert hundreds of sites to the new 2.x platform and don't want to get confused with trying to do this on the new platform. To many possible issues due to my lack of knowledge and practice with the new 2.x platform.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Template character or line limitation - some code delete

Post by calguy1000 »

IIRC in 1.x templates are limited to 64k characters too. and really, I think it is for good reason.

Haven't seen a 'good' template yet that was any where near that size limit. #my2cents

With framework css (like bootstrap) I would advise, unless there is a specific reason not to... to not include it in CMSMS, and just include the links in your template. This allows you to take advantage of remote hosts or CDN's for performance increases. Just put your custom styles into the CMSMS stylesheets.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by elkman »

Thank you for your quick response Calguy. I am trying to convert this purchased them to show a client that CMS Made Simple can be used for this vs Wordpress.

They already have a CMS site and LOVE the ease of use. Here is the index page I am trying to convert to show it can be done. http://themes.semicolonweb.com/html/canvas/index.php

Do you have ANY suggestions how to be exactly recreate this page using CMSMS?

Viewing the source code you will see there are over 1700 lines (including code notes). Would using Global Content Blocks work to break down the full page code?

I have always begun any conversion with a single content block with one line of text and then create a working menu using CMSMS. If I can create the working menu then I will slowing convert as much of the site code as needed.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

well in that 'template' the sample content chews up more than the template itself... so yeah I'd start throwing some chunks into global content blocks. Particularly the navigation cruft. Then you can replace the global content blocks with actual module calls down the road. Or just call the modules from within the GCB's.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by elkman »

Thank you very much for your assistance Calguy! :-)

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”