How can I set the bottom margin?

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
samurai

How can I set the bottom margin?

Post by samurai »

Hi all, I'm using CMSmS 0.12, did some changes/modifications to the style sheets, colours and templates, but it seems I can't set the margin-bottom to zero. If I put it in the body section of the css it has no effect at all.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Geo
Dr.CSS

Re: How can I set the bottom margin?

Post by Dr.CSS »

You want the page to fill the window top to bottom?
do you have a page we can look at?

show me yours and I'll show you mine  :D
these are just a bunch of templates,, some are sites in the works for clients you can tell the diff. they have real content the templates just have filler in them,

mark
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

It would be really really cool if you could share the themes.... I could use some of your templates, and stylesheets.

Would you be willing to do that?
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Would love to,,
take your pick,, and let me know how to get it to you, I've imported them between my sites so I think they will work for you. I'd be interested in finding out how portable they are because the rounded corner ones use a couple of javascripts,,no images.

;) mark
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Well, if you're using cms 0.12, you should be able to go to Theme Manager, and just click on the template specify a theme name and click export, it should just spit out an xml file that can be sent via email, or attached to this thread, etc.

I'd really like the 3 column, rounded corner, no images template if you can spare the time.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

OK 1 more time,,
forgot about no .xml uploads so it is renamed .txt just rename with .xml you know,,,,
sorry it took so long to get back I ran it thru Opera 8, Netscape 8, IE 6, and of course I use Firefox to develop with,, and I validated it HTML is great,, but CSS chokes on 4 IE hacks,, and a bunch of warnings about background colors missing and a couple of things in the niftyCorners CSS,

BTW this guy di Alessandro Fulciniti is where I picked up round corners w/o images,,I checked on that link the old 1 I had was no good guess he changed his website.

[attachment deleted by admin]
samurai

Post by samurai »

Hi,

I want only to keep the left, top and right margins as in the standard CMSmS template and the bottom to be as in the admin interface. Please take a look:
http://geli.dyn-o-saur.com/wrk/cmsmadesimple/

Thanks a lot,
Geo
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

I've tried all kinds of things,, my biggest problem is I'm trying to recreate your site on my comp. but  I can't get any of your bkgrnd. images, you have 5 divs at the top for img. placement or something? if you terminate them as in

it will at least make them stop wrapping the whole page,, 1 of them may have margin or padding set to push the bottom of your page down. I tried to make    div#footer{height:0px}    and all it did was push the image out of it.

HTH  mark
samurai

Post by samurai »

Thanks for checking it out, those 5 div's are wrapping the #pagewrapper around :-) 2 corners and top, left and right images.

The last , top left corner has these:
padding-left:37px;
padding-right:37px;
padding-top:25px;
padding-bottom:0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;

I've tried even a negative value, but with no success :-(

Cheers,
Geo
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Do you have anything position:absolute I thought it was all just set relative?

did you try that idea?
cuz you might be able to set them with absolute to get the results your looking for w/o wrapping everthing.

mark
samurai

Post by samurai »

I've checked and I believe it's all relative, but again, I'm a beginner at CSS... I'll try your ideea.
What about the standard cmsms template? How can the bottom margin be set to zero?

Cheers,
Geo
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Templates,, hmm well a good 1 only has the containers, also known as the box model, if you will, the CSS simply called stylesheets in CMSMS tells the container how to walk & how to talk.
go over in that corner and sit down,,,
div#??? {position:absolute; top:30px; left:30px} or relatively{margin:30px 30px}
put these clothes on,
div#???{background-color: #FFF}
grow up,,
div#???{width:40px;height:50px}
now the boxs, cont., 's  with margins around them pushs away, the padding pushes things in

if you put the first 3 in the pagewrapper as 3 's float left, float right, center, give them all height or padding with no text there's nothing to push the box up, left and right fixed width center a % to grow with the page,
if you want the page to stretch put 2 div's between that and the "container" div  in your template, first 1 is 90% or so float left put the right side img. as bkgrnd. for page wrapper, next div is 80% float right next side img. next div float left with big red squares repeated,,
see it's all just boxs inside each other.

well did that confuse things up enuf?  ;)

any way I'll make this and see if it works, good theory tho  ???

mark
samurai

Post by samurai »

:-[
I mean delete the space between the bottom border and the browser, for example this is a page with bulletmenu:
http://geli.dyn-o-saur.com/wrk/cmsmades ... horizontal

and this is one of mine:
http://geli.dyn-o-saur.com/wrk/cmsmades ... u_vertical

(ignore the content)

see the space at the bottom? is exactly the same, I used a combination of CSS horizontal menu and the vertical submenu. Well that space I would like to zap it so it will look like the bottom of the admin page - no space.

Thank you,
Geo
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

I still can't see where your problem is, I've even tried -20px margins but it wont bug,, I take it you mean the red and white background don't reach the bottom?

but in the mean time I made a site with 10 boxes inside each other to show 10 dif bkgr. imgages,, they are outlined in borders to show them,, then I took out the last three boxes to make the page touch bottom

first this

second this

;) mark
samurai

Post by samurai »

Hi Mark,
I still can't see where your problem is, I've even tried -20px margins but it wont bug,, I take it you mean the red and white background don't reach the bottom?
yes, that's it. sorry for the confusion  :-[

I've checked your pages (alotta boxes :-) and i noticed that the margin-bottom is zero in both pages, so I think because of that the page touches bottom. In my case there are a few pixels in between and I can't find them. I can make the margin bigger but not smaller.
I put borders around the boxes: black for the and blue for the backgrounds. Please take a look.
http://geli.dyn-o-saur.com/wrk/cmsmades ... u_vertical
Thanks!
Geo

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”