Using the Menu Manager

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
sithstemple

Using the Menu Manager

Post by sithstemple »

Hello again.

I've been trying to get to grips with the Menu Manager in version 0.12, and basically want to style the cssmenu the same as the one in version 0.11.

Can anyone provide me with help on how to insert the CSS into the menu manager template?

Every time I try to do it, I get several errors on the page.

Many thanks.
katon

Re: Using the Menu Manager

Post by katon »

I would recommend that you set up a clean installation with sample content.  Then just go into templates and take a look how menus are called.  Don't touch the menu manager, in 95% cases you don't need it.  Just choose the one that is closest to your needs and redefine the styles.
sithstemple

Post by sithstemple »

The problem seems to be that I want a permanent menu on the left hand side in addition to the horizontal navigation.

Other users on this board have told me that this is only possible using the menu manager (and in particular, using the 'items' parameter).  I am therefore looking for a way to style this menu.

Once I have the secondary navigation section styled the way I want it, then the site will be finished.

Can anyone help me implement the styles in the menu manager?
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

sithstemple wrote: I've been trying to get to grips with the Menu Manager in version 0.12, and basically want to style the cssmenu the same as the one in version 0.11.
If I'm right cssmenu module should work with 0.12.
katon

Post by katon »

sithstemple wrote: Other users on this board have told me that this is only possible using the menu manager (and in particular, using the 'items' parameter).  I am therefore looking for a way to style this menu.
This definitely needs to be documented somewhere.  What you need to do is call the menu manager from the page template, associate respective stylesheet with this template, and redefine styles in this stylesheet.  You don't need to enter the menu manager interface and edit templates.
Last edited by katon on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badhoy

Post by badhoy »

Basic primer on how to use the Menu manger would be most helpful.  I simply don't know what it can do and how to use it effectively and I'm sure there are other like me.  Will documentation be coming?
katon

Post by katon »

Ok, let me try a basic step by step.  We need to start the documentation somewhere.

1. Install 2 instances of CMSMadeSimple.  One will be with no sample content - this will be your actual web site. Let's call it 'WorkSite'.  The other will have the documentation and examples as the sample content for you to refer to.  Let's call it 'SampleSite'.  The difference in the insallation will be one checkbox on the page that opens after you configure the database.  Of course, you will need two different databases.

2. Once you have both web sites installed, browse through the one with samples and choose the menu page with the menu layout closest to what you are looking towards.  The basic options are:
* classic vertical menu
* horizontal menu drop-down menu
* vertical drop-down (drop-right???) menu
* menu with split levels, where the first level menus (let's call them sections) are in the top menu and the submenus are in the vertical menu.
The choice must depend on the number of pages you have on the web site.

3. Once you have chosen the type of the menu you want, read the content of the page. It will say what template the page is using. Go to the SampleSite BACK END (admin area), select Layout->Templates and click the mentioned template.

4. Now you need to find the line that calls the menu.  It starts like this:
{cms_module module='MenuManager' ...
Copy this line and the enclosing div tags into your WorkSite template.  The enclosing tags are critical, because they will affect the look and feel of the menu.

5. In the WorkSite, select Layout->Templates, and on the right of the template you are using, click the CSS button.  You will see thie list of stylesheets associated with this template.  Add the stylesheet that corresponds to your desired menu layout.  Remove the stylesheets that are used for other menu layouts.

6. This is the final step that is related to menu configuration.  Open this stylesheet for editing, and start playing with the styles.  If you don't understand CSS, better RTFM first.  By this point you probably want to have at least a few pages in the content tree.

Please forgive any inaccuracies in this instruction.  I just expressed my understanding of the process - I learned it the hard way, too.  I don't have CMSMS 0.12 here at hand, all this is just how I remember it off the top of my head.  Any corrections, remarks, tips, etc. are welcome.  Writers, feel free to use this as the base for a corresponding manual.  Actually, it would be great to have something like this in one of the pages of the sample content web site.
badhoy

Post by badhoy »

katon, that all makes sense and is, for the most part, what I have been doing.  If I select Layout > Menu manager, what does it really do and what do the choices mean.  Is it just a mechanism to load a .tpl file?

I have in my existing templates been using something like this: {cms_module module='cssmenu' relative_show_current='1'}.  How is menu manager better and or different?
katon

Post by katon »

As Ted said in one of hist posts, menu manager is an itch scratcher.  It's meant for the above average user who isn't happy with the given menu templates.  Personally I can't think of a situation when you need to create a custom template.

But if you are dead sure the existing templates don't work for you, and if you know what you need to change in the default template, use the menu manager.  The built-in templates (File Templates) are stored as files on the disk, and you don't have permissions to modify them.  When you create a copy, it is written to the database (Database Templates), and you get the interface to modify it. Then, as you call the MenuManager module from the template, you need to specify the name of the template, e.g.:
{cms_module module='menumanager' template='mytemplate'}
I have in my existing templates been using something like this: {cms_module module='cssmenu' relative_show_current='1'}.  How is menu manager better and or different?
In fact, if you have your menu running and if you are happy with it, my advice is don't touch it.  Just don't forget to copy the CSSMenu folder into 'modules' in the new installation.

MenuManager is helpful in that it brings together and unifies all the variety of menus that existed on their own.  But I'm sure people around here can give you a better answer :-)
jelle

Post by jelle »

@sithstemple:
The problem seems to be that I want a permanent menu on the left hand side in addition to the horizontal navigation.
Why does the Split Menu (EllNav) not meet your requirements?

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”