Create theme

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
solstice
Forum Members
Forum Members

Create theme

Post by solstice »

I've just started to use CMSMS, so this is maybe a silly question - but I cant see instructions anywhere.  I have installed the Theme Manager and I want to import my own template and its style sheet.  How do I do it?...when in Theme Manager, Import I tried to bowse to my files and uplaod..but no go

any help appreciated

Andy
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Create theme

Post by kermit »

the theme manager is for importing templates and stylesheets (collectively known as a 'theme') that is already been made for cmsms.

in order to make your own, you create the templates and css needed, associate the css with the template(s).

so, if you've already got your layout done in html, you need to strip out your 'sample content', and add the appropriate 'tags' so that cmsms knows what to put where when rendering the page. and to do that, the documentation at http://wiki.cmsmadesimple.org/en:gettin ... d:designer and the included default/sample templates should get you started.
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
solstice
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by solstice »

thanks for that -- but do the template and style sheet have to be somehow "packaged" to import?... I notice that exported themes are an xml document. 
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Theme manager packages templates, and their associated stylesheets, etc, into an xml file.  this is how it's transported, and the expected format for import into theme manager.  You can do everything via copy and paste, but it'd be painful.

Anyways, I guess I don't understand your question completely?
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jelle

Post by jelle »

you can only import themes that have been packaged in the correct xml file, usually by cmsms. You create your templates and stylesheets by cutting and pasting into the textarea afte choosing 'create new [template/stylesheet etc]'. only when you have a complete theme you can export it to the xml format and exchange it with other cmsms users.
solstice
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by solstice »

OK - gotcha now! thanks for help

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”