Creating utility pages that don't appear in main navigation (site map | contact)

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
Ryan Blunden

Creating utility pages that don't appear in main navigation (site map | contact)

Post by Ryan Blunden »

Hello,

I'm wanting to create a set of utlity pages (for example, site map | search | contact) but as they are utility pages, I do not want links to them showing up in the main navigation at all. Instead, I want to put these links in the top right corner of the interface, just like http://www.seventhvision.com.au/newsite/.

So:

- How do I create pages that are accessible (able to be viewed) but don't show up when you use {bulletmenu} or {sitemap}?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Creating utility pages that don't appear in main navigation (site map | cont

Post by calguy1000 »

look at www.ultimatehuntinggiveaway.com, we did something similar

essentially we created a section header, and marked it as "not displayed in menu", then we created our utility pages as children of that

then we used cssmenu and the start_element and show_root_siblings parameters to display the menu.  giving the id of the first child of the section header as our start element.

Hope this helps, if necessary, I can give you specific examples, but just don't have access to the machines at the moment.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Ryno

Re: Creating utility pages that don't appear in main navigation (site map | cont

Post by Ryno »

Hey Patricia and Calguy,

Calguy, your solution is exactly what I ended up figuring out, but I wanted clarification that this was allowable abuse of the system's management off 'display page' and not a bug that was going to be fixed later (dont show child pages of a parent that is marked as 'not display'.

Patricia, if you could please elaborate on your post that would be great.
the new sitemap (now in svn) for next version by default does not show pages marked as "not displayed in menu"
When you say 'Pages', do you mean child pages? Please explain :)
add the option to display them if one wants them
How would one do this? By way of a parameter on the sitemap tag or am I missing something?

Thanks for both of your replies and I am really enjoying using the system so far.

Best Regards,
Ryan
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

I hope this "feature" doesn't get fixed.  I use it now on two different sites.  And the sitemap too, though if I remember correctly, I had to hack the sitemap not to show the child pages on one site.

It was a pretty minor hack though.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Ahhh, now I think I understand what Patricia was making referrence to. The sitemap tag currently must display children that are visible, even if the parent is not and hopefully, that is what has just been fixed?

I'll let her confirm or deny that though and once this is clear, it might be worth making a note to fix your sitemap hack in that site.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Hi Patricia,

I'm so impressed with this forum, you guys are fantastic in getting back to me so quick!
In your opinion, if any parent is not shown, childs shouldn't be shown?
Correct for pages at the top most defined level looking down the tree, but you should still be able to display the children of a page that is set not to display if you are looking specifically at the children level only. Does that make sense? If not, I'll upload an example.

Also, I'm not really familiar with SVN or anything so if you would like to upload the latest version of the sitemap plugin for me to download that would be great.

And, if you have a url for a tutorial on how I can get started with SVN that would be great.

Best Regards,
Ryan
chipus

Post by chipus »

calguy1000 wrote: look at www.ultimatehuntinggiveaway.com, we did something similar

essentially we created a section header, and marked it as "not displayed in menu", then we created our utility pages as children of that

then we used cssmenu and the start_element and show_root_siblings parameters to display the menu.  giving the id of the first child of the section header as our start element.

Hope this helps, if necessary, I can give you specific examples, but just don't have access to the machines at the moment.
Hi calguy1000

Could you please give me an example of this problem. Because i have the same problem too, but i can't figure out after reading your post.

Here is my problem:
      I create a session header called English and set it "not displayed in menu" , and some sub items like Home, About....
      What i want is to use CSSMenu to display the sub items of the English session header only. Nothing else.

Thanks very much
LeisureLarry

Re: Creating utility pages that don't appear in main navigation (site map | contact)

Post by LeisureLarry »

You can get the newest version of the sitemap plugin visiting this link:

http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmad ... k/plugins/

Simply right click function.sitemap.php and download it. Don´t know whether it´ll work with 0.11.2.

But this version doesn´t solve your problem, because children of a hidden parent are shown in the sitemap. But there is another solution. Make an install of the current 0.12 beta-2 from this link

http://cmsmadesimple.org/cms-daily.tar.gz

Now you can use my solution as used at http://www.interiete.net/cmsms/. Hide all pages that shouldn´t be shown in the standard menus or in the sitemap. This could be utility pages and pages of a third menu beside main navi and sub navi. Sitemap doesn´t show pages which are hidden itself. The new menu system has a parameter (item or items) which shows only specific pages in a third menu (may be hidden or not). Even if there are some pages, which you would like to see in the sitemap there is a solution (parameter show_elements). I´ve only tested this solution with EllNav, but I think the other two templates should work, too. But be aware that some things have changed (i.e. the tag for the menus).

Greats from Germany
LeisureLarry
Last edited by LeisureLarry on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”