making changes to default template

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
Overlander

making changes to default template

Post by Overlander »

Hi

I want to make a few minor adjustments to the default template.

I have managed to upload a logo http://www.michaelunwinwines.com.au/cmsms/index.php

But I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get rid of the little typewriter symbol on the horizontal bar....and then how to make the above page open as the index page?
westis

Re: making changes to default template

Post by westis »

Hi Overlander,

Version 0.11 will be out any hour now. As it seems like you haven't filled your site with much content I would suggest you upgrade to 0.11, as there are several default templates that come with it.

:-)
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

when i was making my web site on the top has the palm tree and CMS made simple in type and i was wondering how the change the palm tree picture and the words to different words.  any help is greatly appreciated.
westis

Post by westis »

Hi averagejoe,

The logo (the palm tree is an image together with the text CMS Made Simple) is defined in the stylesheet called "Layout". To change what image to use as a logo (or remove it altogether), find this part in the stylesheet "Layout":

Code: Select all

/* HEADER */
        div#header {
            margin: 0;
            padding: 0;
            height: 80px;
            background: #385C72 url(uploads/images/cms/logo1.gif) no-repeat 0 12px;            
            text-align: center;
        }
The key is the line with the path to the logo. Replace logo1.gif with the name of your logo and upload your logo, using the Image Manager (Content -> Image Manager).

For example, if you are uploading an image called mylogo.jpg to a the root folder of the Image Manager, then use this path: uploads/images/mylogo.jpg. All images uploaded through the Image Manager go to the folder uploads/images or any sub-folder to this that you specify.

Look also at 0 12px at the end of the line to change the margin of your logo from the left and top edges of the header.

You can change the background color by replacing #385C72 with the hex number of the color you want to use as the background of your header. You can also change the height and margins.

You can add text to the header section in your template. Find this section:

<div id="header" class="clearfix">

</div><!-- end header -->
As you can see it is empty and only filled with the background color and logo image that you specify in the stylesheet. But you can also enter any text (or other information) here that you want in the header section for all pages using the same template.

Let me know if you need any more help!
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

Ya westis

i can't find your 2nd code you gave me, to change the words in the header, can you specify where i can find it, also how do i change the size of my pic. do i have to shrink the size in a program then upload it or  how am i supposed to do it.  also in the footer it says copyright nobody on the home page then when i go into another page on my website it says what i changed it to, it just seems like it won't aply itself to the home page.  is there a special thing you have to do?
When i am looking at my website it is titled:  Title of your page here            How do i change that title.
thanks for the help i am new at this.
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

i'm sorry , however i figured out how to change the size of my pictures but i still need help with the other items mentioned.
westis

Post by westis »

averagejoe wrote: i can't find your 2nd code you gave me, to change the words in the header, can you specify where i can find it,
That's in the template that you are using. Find the list of templates in Layout -> Templates and click on a template to see and edit the HTML code for the template.
also in the footer it says copyright nobody on the home page then when i go into another page on my website it says what i changed it to, it just seems like it won't aply itself to the home page.  is there a special thing you have to do?
Is the home page using a different template from the other pages? Is the HTML Blob called footer also in the template that the home page is using? Look for the footer section in the template that the home page is using and see what it says there.

When i am looking at my website it is titled:  Title of your page here            How do i change that title.
That is also in your template. If you look in the template you will find that text near the top, in the section:

<!-- Type the title of your site here -->

<title>Title of your page here</title>
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

thanks westis

you've been a real help, on the left of my screen i have bullets in boxes, i was wondering if there was a way that i could place a tower there and instead of the boxes the words would be on each step?
i don't know if this possible without making a whole new template, but if it is it would be greatly appreciated if you could show me how to do this.
westis

Post by westis »

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Could you give me your URL, as it's easier to understand when knowing what site we're dealing with.

Glad you got the other things worked out. :D
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

yes my website link is www.sisseton.lxhost.com&nbsp; and on the left hand side is a link box to go to other pages on my site.  and instead of the boxes around the words i would like to take the tower on the website www.sisseton.com&nbsp; and place them in the background,  every level of the tower would then have a different link to it, like Churches and New Oppurtunities and Parks and Recreation would have its own level.  if this is possible i would like to know how to do it

sorry for not repling fast i was without computer access for a while.
thanx again.
westis

Post by westis »

Ah, I see. You just want an ordinary bullet list, but without the bullets? Like a vertical list of links?

How do you want the sub-levels to show? You're now using CSSMenu and then the sub-levels are displayed when hovering the top-level links. With just a list of links it would look rather weird. A better idea may then be to use bulletmenu, to display the sub-levels below each top-level item when clicking on it.

Anyway, to remove the background and border for the menu items, find the stylesheet called Default CSSMenu Vertical. That's what is used to style the CSSMenu. If you're using bulletmenu you should instead have the stylesheet called nav-vertical attached to the template.

In the Default CSSMenu Vertical stylesheet, look in the section /* Styling the basic apperance of the menu elements */. That's where the style is set for the menu items, as it is just an unordered list. There you can remove the border and background-colors.

You may then also want to change margin-bottom: -1px; for #primary-nav li in the section above it, as that is set to -1 because of the borders for the "boxes" to work fine.

There is also some kind closing and other closing tags at the end of your source code, that I suppose you have in the template?

Hope that helps a bit on the way.
average joe

Post by average joe »

ok I've got the background to the color white, and it does look weird however i would like to place a background pic. of that tower i showed you, is that possible, i can't get it to work

also for my header that says Sisseton, South Dakota i can't get that centered between my pic. i added and the right side of the page so i created a banner in fireworks, so i could place that in the header however i don't know where to type the image location in the template. thanx again
westis

Post by westis »

Happy New Year averagejoe!

You mean you want that one picture that has a tower in it as the background for the entire menu? You can put it in the tag (which is for the entire unordered list). I'd recommend you to learn some CSS if you want to do more customizing.

What you need is to add something like

background-image: url(uploads/images/tower.jpg); 
for the selector #primary-nav ul , if the image is uploaded in the root dir of the Image Manager.

I'm not sure I understand your other question. The text in the header is centered for me. But you want a background image in the header div? Then find div#header and add the background image there, the same way as above.

Hope that helps. :)

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”