Version 1.9.3 and a Dreamhost site restore

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
pelicanpaul

Version 1.9.3 and a Dreamhost site restore

Post by pelicanpaul »

I am a developer with little experience with CMS Made Simple. A legacy client had their CMS Made Simple site deleted by accident and then restored but certain files were missing - Dreamhost. The site is viewable but apparently the CMS system needs certain tmp, cache, etc files which no longer exist. "Forgot My Password" function is not working.

Any pointers on how to solve this problem greatly appreciated. I did see this repo http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/cmsmad ... hes/1.9.x/
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Version 1.9.3 and a Dreamhost site restore

Post by DIGI3 »

The tmp/cache files are generated automatically from the database, but the folder structure does need to be there first.

You can run the installer for the same version, making sure to uncheck "install content from database" or something similar (it's been a few years, I can't remember the exact phrase it uses).

It may be a bit tricky for a cmsms novice, but as long as the database and /uploads folder are safe then there's going to be a road to recovery - you may just need to bring in someone to help diagnose more than can be covered in a forum post.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

For your information. In the web root there should be a tmp folder with the three subfolders as shown below.
All 4 folders should have RW permissions for the web server process.

Code: Select all

\tmp
\tmp\cache
\tmp\configs
\tmp\templates_c
Like DIGI3 already mentioned. CMSMS will put cache files automatically as needed.
In the backend of CMS Made Simple (the admin paneL) you will find a 'clear cache' button somewhere under 'System Maintenance' (long time ago).

Of course, after fixing the issue, plan to upgrade this install. Version 1.9.3 is way too old. It's vulnerable. And when Dreamhost will phase out PHP 5.x this site probably won't run anymore and then upgrading will be more difficult.
pelicanpaul

Post by pelicanpaul »

The only folder missing was \tmp\configs so I added that.

The site works but I am still unable to log into the admin. I did notice on a dev site the folder \tmp\configs had just one file

index.html and all that had was...

<!-- dummy index.html -->

When I try to retrieve the admin password I get an SMTP error

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.

Is this an issue with CMSMS or the host?

thanks
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

the smtp error would likely be because cmsms has the wrong credentials for your email account, but because you can't log in, you won't be able to change them unless you do it in the database.

If you search through the forum you should be able to find the method for resetting your password directly in the database - you'll need to find an older post as the current encryption method has changed since then (I think). Just keep in mind the rough release date of 1.9.x when searching.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
Rolf
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Rolf »

This video tutorial shows you how to find out your user name, reset your password and give you access to the Admin panel again.
https://cmscanbesimple.org/blog/cms-mad ... d-recovery
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
pelicanpaul

Post by pelicanpaul »

thanks! I really appreciate it!

Return to “General Discussion”