Does it make sense to release CMSMS modules fully styled?

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
deactivated010521

Does it make sense to release CMSMS modules fully styled?

Post by deactivated010521 »

Personally I never use any default module templates (or CSS that comes with a module). Either I follow the structure a CSS framework dictates or I code everything using my personal framework.

I think styling is up to the theme developer. But I like it when a module developer delivers a html prototype and documented available Smarty variables. After inserting the correct module tags I can start from there.

On the other hand I see a lot of websites with default module styling, so there is a use case for that.

What are your personal preferences and what is your opinion when it comes to module templates and styling should the module developer do this?

A.[x] Provide and overview of Smarty variables to be used inside the templates or documentation
B.[x] Provide a HTML prototype
C.[] Workout a basic HTML and CSS example
D.[] Workout awesome HTML and CSS based on a popular CSS/JavaScript framework, which one?
E.[] Workout awesome html and css without any dependencies:
F.[] Others
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Does it make sense to release CMSMS modules fully styled

Post by paulbaker »

I find it easier to take something that works and then add to it, styling accordingly so it fits with the website being worked on. So I prefer to have some basic HTML templates installed with the module. That is what Calguy, for example, normally provides.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
HarmO
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Does it make sense to release CMSMS modules fully styled

Post by HarmO »

idem ditto.
I like it when i see a basic HTML Example, but there is no need to have a fully developed CSS template.

Generally, i make my own templates and remove the default ones anyway.
Kind regards,
HarmO

Return to “General Discussion”