Making new CMSMS website theme the default theme

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Making new CMSMS website theme the default theme

Post by elkman »

The new theme for the cmsmadesimple.org is great. Offers a working multi dropdown menu and much more.

Can this theme be included as a default theme or additional theme included with a new install? It's perfect for converting hundreds if not thousands of HTML5 themes for use with CMSMS.

I understand that responses concerning themes always get downplayed as being unimportant. Not so. CMSMS is SO much better for most small business and nonprofit websites. But, I work with many developers who I can't get to even look at CMSMS due to the lack of active themes.

Word Press has spoiled them because they assume since CMSMS doesn't have an active theme development location that the CMSMS platform is unsupported.

I've personally created hundreds of websites using CMSMS with HTML5 themes selected by clients from sites like Themeforest or converted their active Word Press sites to CMSMS. These are all 1.12.2 sites now. However, this theme (meaning just the basic layout items especially the menu creation) would allow me and others to more easily begin upgrading these sites. I would then submit ALL of our upgraded themes for use on the theme site.

Elkman
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Making new CMSMS website theme the default theme

Post by paulbaker »

Glad you like the new design. Unfortunately the template cannot be included in the download as it is a paid-for template. :(

Have you looked at Bootstrap? That gives a good framework for responsive menus and such.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by elkman »

Hi Paul,

I didn't realize the new theme was a paid theme and unavailable.

I am very familiar with using Bootstrap with CMSMS. I converted the free Bootstrap theme Modern Business https://startbootstrap.com/template-ove ... -business/ to CMSMS as seen here http://www.tellercounty.biz/cms112/and have shared it with many CMSMS forum members when requested.

The converted theme includes a multilevel menu option which many developers have requested.

I created the working Bootstrap menu for use with the older 1.12.2 CMSMS version by combining information found within this forum and other info found online.

I was hoping to use the new CMSMS theme simply as a template for other themes. Mainly the menu part. I always have a problem creating a responsive, Bootstrap menu for CMSMS. This is due to my lack of knowledge. Once I see how the menu is initially created I can go from there.

Does anyone have the components of the working multilevel menu as used on the new CMSMS website that can be shared with less skilled CMSMS users like me? If I can get this working I will convert several Bootstrap themes for use by CMSMS users.

Thanks Paul for your quick response,

Elkman
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

There is work in process by valued dev team members to provide some simple sample responsive themes for CMSMS 2.x using template inheritance and other libraries. And some paid themes with added features.

Watch the themes site, and stay tuned in the coming weeks.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by elkman »

That is fantastic news. I'll be watching but not in a creepy way.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

If you did want to buy a copy of the theme for your own use, it's called Porto and is available here:
https://themeforest.net/item/porto-resp ... te/4106987

Once you have it set up, feel free to PM me and I can send you the menu templates.

Typically I wouldn't have pushed to go with a commercial theme as I agree, it would be great to share it with the community. It was a project started many years ago and our site sorely needed a facelift, so we pushed it through and will revisit it again when we have the resources.

And yes, as Calguy said, the themes site is on my radar for an overhaul. We still want to downplay themes as a necessity, but they do have an important role to play. They're also great as educational tools, so we're discussing having less default content and fewer themes included with new CMSMS installs, but having more available on the themes site that use new techniques (such as template inheritance).
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
elkman
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by elkman »

Thanks for the good news!

I have already ported Porto, Canvas, Polo, and many others from Themeforest for CMSMS 1.12.2 multiple times.

I will purchase Porto again no problem.

I have ported the free theme Corlate http://shapebootstrap.net/demo/html/corlate/ which is somewhat similar to Porto for CMSMS 1.12.2. You can see it live here: http://www.jannahoiberg.com

I will port Corlate to the newest CMSMS version once I can get the menu templates which is where I always mess up.

This would be a great theme to convert to the newest CMSMS version as it works for a variety of sites, uses many modern pages styles, and would be a GREAT learning tool for those like me trying to get a handle on the new CMSMS versions.
nextepeasy

Post by nextepeasy »

Can you please tell me that is this theme is paid or free? and How i can implement this theme?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

It's all in the thread above.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options

Return to “General Discussion”