Extra page attributes limited to 255 carachters

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Extra page attributes limited to 255 carachters

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello,

In database (2.2.3.1 version of cmsms) extra page attributes are defined as varchar(255) in table cms_content_props , same thing for titleattribute in table cms_content.
Is there a technical reason for such a low limitation ?
For SEO purpose this fields are very useful and it would be really interesting to have a larger limit (500 carachters would be great) :)
Consequently, input fields should be transformed into fields of type textearea in the administration interface.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Extra page attributes limited to 255 carachters

Post by velden »

Not a real answer but of course you can add extra content blocks for those purposes.

You could display those on a separate tab, optionally combined with other input fields (blocks) like e.g. open graph images etc.
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Extra page attributes limited to 255 carachters

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello,

Thanks for the answer Velden. I Know this and for professionnal work I use to...
I took a look and it seems that the limitation to 255 characters for a varchar type field goes back to mysql versions lower than 5.03 (version 5.1 is distributed since September 2007 ...). I do not have the technical skills but it seems to me that if it does not pose a problem of backward compatibility the version 2.3 could perhaps be adopted these minor modifications (I know why not 600 or 2000 characters, well because then you can easily go through an extra block content).

Return to “General Discussion”