1.6 version om PHP 5.6?

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
helixkalle

1.6 version om PHP 5.6?

Post by helixkalle »

I just took over some sites that are runing on old 1.6 version. Is there a chance/way, without immidaite upgrade to run them on php 5.6?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: 1.6 version om PHP 5.6?

Post by calguy1000 »

Though I honestly cannot remember, and didn't look it up
Since CMSMS 1.7 was the first version that worked with PHP 5.3 I would think that 1.6 will NOT work with PHP 5.6
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
chandra

Post by chandra »

CMSMS 1.6 has worked for me with PHP 5.2 in the past ;) . Have not tried other php configurations.

Think it depends on your configuration (especially used modules) you don't talk about. In very special situations it could maybe possible with some quick fixes. In minimum you should set database to mysqli (php 5.6 does not support mysql). And inside sources are some deprecated commands like ereg()...

Think you should hire a professional ... or try to update ... or both O0
helixkalle

Post by helixkalle »

Thank you. all!

Seems like I'm giving up in this case. Tried but there are too many problems in the code to upgrade. That's the case when people don't upgrade in time :(

Seems I'm better off moving the sites to WP then trying to upgrading them.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

I'm not sure what is your point with the previous post, but I'm willing to bet that it will be far easier, faster and less expensive to upgrade at least to CMSMS 1.12.x than to migrate to WP. Besides, WP is a bloated blog system not a proper CMS.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
chandra

Post by chandra »

helixkalle wrote: Seems I'm better off moving the sites to WP then trying to upgrading them.
Not really ... cause there's no tool to convert all different content from CMSMS (content, menu, global content, module content ...) to WP. I'm sure you would have the same trouble if you update a 7 years old wp installation. A CMS is like a car - needs regularly support and service ;).

Like @JoMorg said it's normally faster to update CMSMS. But in cause of a lot source changes you should do it step by step - from first step to 1.6.10 (last version which supports PHP 4) over 1.9.4.3 over 1.10.3 to 1.12.2 to the last step to current 2.1.5. Don't forget db backups and checking functionality of the sites after every step.

I know it will need some time but it's worth it.
helixkalle

Post by helixkalle »

Well thank you.

This are the modules that are installed:
Album 0.9.2
Banners 2.1.0
FCKeditorX 1.0.1
FileManager 1.0
Guestbook 1.1.2
MenuManager 1.6
ModuleManager 1.3
nuSOAP 1.0.1
Printing 1.0
ThemeManager 1.1.1

I will have to track them all down and see if they can be upgraded.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

With the exception of FCKeditorX and nuSOAP, all can be upgraded to work with CMSMS 1.12.x.
FCKeditorX may be replaced by Microtiny or even Tinymce, and nuSOAP won't be needed in 1.12.x.
I'm not sure about Printing but you can always contact the module developer to see if he is available to look into it.
Most other modules are working fine in their final release and Album will have a release soon for CMSMS 2.x.
As long as you have a full backup and read the docs available you should be fine.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
chandra

Post by chandra »

Jo Morg wrote: I'm not sure about Printing but you can always contact the module developer to see if he is available to look into it.
Module Printing as a core module was replaced by CMSPrinting some years ago ;D .

But CMSPrinting does not support PDF output. This part was outsourced to another module

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/pdf

And Guestbook is out of development for a long time. But there's a good HowTo to move to another module named GBook

http://www.cmscanbesimple.org/blog/movi ... ook-module
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

chandra wrote:
Jo Morg wrote: I'm not sure about Printing but you can always contact the module developer to see if he is available to look into it.
Module Printing as a core module was replaced by CMSPrinting some years ago ;D .
I stand corrected.
chandra wrote:And Guestbook is out of development for a long time. But there's a good HowTo to move to another module named GBook
Yeah, I keep mixing them up... Migrating to GBook is extremely simple though...
helixkalle

Post by helixkalle »

Thank you. Checked it now and both Printing and Guestbook are not even used in the websites.

But 1.12 can that be run on php 5.6?
chandra

Post by chandra »

helixkalle wrote:both Printing and Guestbook are not even used in the websites.
Then you can deinstall and delete it ;).
helixkalle wrote: But 1.12 can that be run on php 5.6?
It's running like a rabbit :D ...

Return to “General Discussion”