This page is currently being edited by another user

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
SolsWebdesign

This page is currently being edited by another user

Post by SolsWebdesign »

Hi,

I've searched around but I can't seem to find the answer for this strange problem. I have a cmsms 2.1.4 “Freetown” and I am the only user (no other users yet!). Yet this frequently happens: I edit a page, get a call or get distracted or do something else and when I get back to my Content Manager there is this yellow cloud containing an exclamation mark in front of the page I was working on telling me "This page is currently being edited by another user". What other user? ??? I'm the only one. The funny thing is it will tell me I'm the one locking it (okay, maybe not so funny). :-\

Luckily you can go to Site Admin -> Settings - Content Manager -> Locking Expiration Time-out (minutes): and set this to 0.... but it does not help. If I'm lucky I get a little yellow key somewhere left of the locked page in Content Manager and then I can edit it again. But more often then not I have no other option the abandon the site for a while and get back later.

Being used to CMSms1.x.x this functionality is quite pointless if there is only one user (me) and quite annoying.

Now I've found that I only get this in sites that I install in one language (Dutch) while my Preferences (user settings) are in English. I'm not sure this is a coincidence or that it (the multi language bit) indeed influences the locking mechanism.

Anybody any ideas how to stop CMSMS 2.1.4 from locking pages in Content Manager from me, myself and I?
:D
SolsWebdesign

Re: This page is currently being edited by another user

Post by SolsWebdesign »

Update:

For anyone running into this and with some technical knowledge, I solved this by a simple script emptying the _locks table that I call through a link in the backend (I was getting desperate). Not a nice solution so I'm digging in the code for a better one. :)
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

Just curious about this part (trying to get idea of what could happen):
I edit a page, get a call or get distracted or do something else and when I get back to my Content Manager there is this yellow cloud containing an exclamation mark in front of the page I was working on telling me "This page is currently being edited by another user".
This would mean that some way the 'edit' page was applied/submitted/cancelled? Apparently you're not in 'edit' mode anymore.

I've some troubles regarding the locking system myself now and then (especially when changing an page's setting like 'template' which triggers an auto-reload) but I can't remember I've had pages automatically leaving editing mode.
SolsWebdesign

Post by SolsWebdesign »

I'm not sure actually. I currently have 2 sites (both 2.1.4) where this problem occurs and for me it "feels" like it is completely random (it probably isn't).

It sometimes happens when my laptop goes to sleep and sometimes I just return from some other job to my editor and all seems fine until I press submit. Then back in Content Manager I suddenly see the lock.

From now on I will try to write down when it happens.

Changing an page's setting like 'template' also locks it but since I have the Site Admin -> Settings - Content Manager -> Locking Expiration Time-out (minutes): set to 0 this no longer seems to occur.

It does not happen that often but annoyingly I can't move pages around (change their order) when it happens. I can "steal the lock", as someone mentioned, if the little yellow key is there but I'm not allowed to rearrange the order of the pages. So often I just have to remove the lock through the database which is really really annoying.

So I'll try to note when it happens and what the conditions were... maybe we can solve this.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

I haven't had any problems lately with locking... strange it is for you.
But in the options dropdown in the content and design manager is a button remove all locks.
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
SolsWebdesign

Post by SolsWebdesign »

In the Content Manager there is right next to the "Add New Content" button a button called "Options" but when I hover over it I only get :
- Expand All
- Collapse All Collapse All
- Reorder Content Reorder Content
- Settings Settings

Does the "remove all locks" only appear when there is a lock? I'll keep my eyes open :)

Sadly I can't reproduce the locks at will... They just seem to happen. It could be something in my templates or in my language settings...

That is another problem I'm having: I set the site up in Dutch and my own preferences are set to English. Sometimes CMSMS seems to forget I prefer English and half(!) the backend goes to Dutch. I have no idea why. I go back to My Preferences -> My Account -> User Preferences and the language still says English so all I have to do is press Submit and then everything is back to English.

I'm not sure the problems are related and I don't mind the English/Dutch settings problem, I do mind the locking problem :-\

Thank you for your suggestion with the option button however! I'll keep an eye out for that one!
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

SolsWebdesign wrote:Does the "remove all locks" only appear when there is a lock? I'll keep my eyes open :)
Yep ;)
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE

Return to “General Discussion”