How to migrate CMSMS to a new server/host guide

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
UKHosting

How to migrate CMSMS to a new server/host guide

Post by UKHosting »

Hello,

We have recently been asked by one of our customers for help in transferring a CMSMS site over. Using the guide provided by CMSMS here ,we have created a more visually in depth version at:

SquirrelHosting > Move CMSMS to a new server

My question is as follows, would any mods/users who migrate often take a look and see if you can spot anything we have missed?

For now we have left CHMOD out but may add it if needed.

As always, thanks for your help :)
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: How to migrate CMSMS to a new server/host guide

Post by paulbaker »

Looks very good to me, the more stuff like this the better I think! The only thing I would say is missing is a mention of alternatives to FTP - e.g. with cpanel I compress the site into one .gz file, download it and then upload to new server and extract. Much quicker (and less prone to missing files) than FTP.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Yes.... please encourage people to use the control-panel based filemanager, and not ftp (the suckiest file transfer mechanism available).
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

Another very useful option is to create a file checksum file of the original install and use that to verify the new one. It allows you to check for file corruption that occured during transfer (especially useful when using FTP).

Site Admin >> System Verification

Then there could be some specific work for 3rd party modules that are storing paths in database. I'm thinking of ListItExtended (and XDefs) and perhaps CGSmartImage (Extensions -> Calguys Smart Image Toolkit -> General (tab) -> Image Url Prefix)

Further, some settings (paths and urls) in config.php are not required anymore for most installs. Making it easier to move a site. Though I think it's good to mention those.
jolarti

Post by jolarti »

Wow... Nice guide.
I still wonder about CHMOD changes though - depends on the server surely.

Return to “General Discussion”