User Groups

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
trevorm
Forum Members
Forum Members

User Groups

Post by trevorm »

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is an active User Group in Swindon, Wiltshire, UK or that general area. If not I would be happy to start one if there is any/enough interest.

I will be honest - I need some help on something I am trying to do without much success so far. In return I am very happy to organise and manage the admin of the a user group (I am a retired Process Engineer and Managing Director but still very enthusiastic and willing to learn and sing CMSMS praises). I am happy to exchange contact details with interested parties in the Wiltshire area.

I get involved with a lot of charities and small businesses than cannot afford programmers and/or developers but who would benefit from a prestigious Internet presence capable of more than a simple WYSIWYG web site builder can offer. I try to help them where I can but in some cases they need more than I can currently do. I have turned to CMSMS in an attempt to be able to offer more help. I help these organisations free of charge in the interest of their stable progress/growth, which is something I didn't have when I started my business.

Kind regards,
TrevorM
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: User Groups

Post by JohnnyB »

In the meantime, join us on IRC. If you have specific questions and after trial and error, and after searching the forum for answers, there may be someone on chat that can help. It is not a service or support guarantee, just a resource of CMSMS devs hanging out and helping if possible.

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/documentation/irc/
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
trevorm
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: User Groups

Post by trevorm »

HI JohnnyB,
Thanks for your reply.
I have tried to find out on the forum(s) how to get form data saved to the DB and then to retrieve the data filtered by one field. The sort of answers I've been getting are confusing one-liners that only experienced and seasoned CMSMS users would understand without extensive trial and error and/or research into help which frankly is limited on the extensions I've seen.

I am new to CMSMS and NOT experienced However I am intelligent and a qualified chemical engineer, which is why I turned to CMSMS (the last "S" being Simple!!!). I do believe CMSMS is potentially worthwhile but I am getting frustrated in trying to use poorly documented and in one instance so far, "dumped" Extensions. Yes, an extension still available in the CMSMS Extensions Directory but not actually being developed for some time and which clearly has enough issues for the developer to dump it (very helpful).

Having been faced with extensions that are now not supported (FormBrowser) and being sent off in a direction to use another extension, I have now found is by the same developer who, as yet, has not answered an email from me albeit only 24 hours.

This is why I am suggesting a local User Group because it would seem expert to expert discussion is all that is available on the forums.

In conclusion I am still interested to start a user group in or around Swindon UK. Meanwhile I will hope someone reads this and offers constructive help with the aforementioned issue I have.

Thanks again for responding.

Return to “General Discussion”