How should we prepare for CMSMS 2.0?

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

How should we prepare for CMSMS 2.0?

Post by JohnnyB »

What can a frontend developer do to be prepared? If I'm building a site today using CMSMS 1.11.10, is there anything I should do to be prepared for CMSMS 2.0?

Thanks!!
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: How should we prepare for CMSMS 2.0?

Post by calguy1000 »

The biggest thing a frontend developer/site developer can do to prepare for 2.0 is be involved in the beta (coming soon).

There are lots of changes, and lots of new features. It will take a bit of time to wrap your head around them.

Also, some modules will be broken. If you are involved in the beta you can help find out which ones faster, and notify the developers of those modules to fix them. Hopefully with active community involvement the developers will be able to fix their modules before the final release.

BTW, I already know most of my modules that were broken, and have fixed most of them.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Jos
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by Jos »

calguy1000 wrote:BTW, I already know most of my modules that were broken, and have fixed most of them.
I would also like to start fixing my modules before users complain... Is there a list I can work through?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

The quick list of modules that were broken is:

a: Modules that created content types (should be easy fixes)
(AdvancedContent)
It took me less than an hour to fix FEU.

b: Modules that implemented WYSIWYG or syntax areas
(probably significant changes, but should be cleaner when done)
(TinyMCE, AceEditor, ....)
We completely rewrote MicroTiny for CMSMS 2.0.

c: Modules that work directly with the template API (very significant changes)
(TemplateExternalizer is definitely broken. Not sure about Archiver.
I have to fix or remove some stuff in CGContentUtils yet).

d: Modules that relied on deprecated, un-document, and/or internal API's or data structures.
If you used the old (internal) $gCms->variables stuff and/or other internal stuff you will have work to do.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
psy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by psy »

Thanks for the heads-up Calguy. Am keen to be part of the beta program and ensure my modules work with 2.0.

Is there somewhere module devs can pre-register? I searched but couldn't find anything.
kraygoon

Post by kraygoon »

calguy1000 wrote:TemplateExternalizer is definitely broken.
I'll fix it ASAP after the release of the beta.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Another thing... if you haven't noticed already is that we've upgraded the requirements.

Namely, you will need a reasonably recent version of PHP (5.4.4 minimum, but this is subject to change). You will also need to ensure that your version of PHP has most standard extensions enabled (like the fileinfo stuff).
Follow me on twitter
--------------------

Return to “General Discussion”