Problem with news module in 6.2 Topic is solved

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
Greg

Problem with news module in 6.2

Post by Greg »

The News module is installed and active in the module management area.
I created a page with the tag {cms_module module='news'} and it is active and on the menu.

When I create a news page the page is created OK but does not show up on when I click on the News menu item from the main page. The header " The latest news" shows and the footer but the news item doesn't show. When I edit the news item the editor starts I press submit after making changes and the page goes blank and doesn't return to the listing of news pages.

http://www.weyburncap.com

Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Problem with news module in 6.2

Post by Ted »

Greg wrote:The News module is installed and active in the module management area.
I created a page with the tag {cms_module module='news'} and it is active and on the menu.

When I create a news page the page is created OK but does not show up on when I click on the News menu item from the main page. The header " The latest news" shows and the footer but the news item doesn't show. When I edit the news item the editor starts I press submit after making changes and the page goes blank and doesn't return to the listing of news pages.

http://www.weyburncap.com

Greg
I'll look into this tonight. I did a bunch of changes last night to the News module to add in RSS. This might have had other effects that I haven't seen yet.

Jump on the IRC channel if you want to nudge me along. :)

wishy
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

It's working fine for me. I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'll keep messing with it.

wishy
Greg

Post by Greg »

This is strange as I have the same setup on my local drive with apache, mysql and PHP and it works fine. Something must be different on the web hosting servers. Maybe a php setup difference?

Thanks for checking !

Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

It's a very good possibility. Is there anyway you can get the phpinfo on both machines for me? I'd love to try and track this down, since I'm sure it could cause other people problems in the future.

You did run the Upgrade for the module, right?

wishy
Greg

Post by Greg »

OK this is what I did. On my local system I installed version 6. Setup no problems ran fine everthing worked as advertised. Downloaded version 6.1 copied all files over 6 version, ran the upgrade, everything was and is still working.
Created database on webhost and used sql from local database to create webhost database tables.
Ftp'd all files to webhost, created blank config.php on webhost server and ran install on server. Copied all changed files from 577 to local copy and the webhost server. Local copy work perfect webhost doesn't.

I tried changing a page from type content to type news and the page goes blank when I change it to type news!

The Webhost has registered globals on and y2k compliance off, this is the only difference between the phpinfo reports.

Greg
Greg

Post by Greg »

This morning I did a complete new install of 6.1, went to plugin management and the News item showed upgrade required, I ran that, it shows News module installed. Went to the Content Management, add new content, and then chose News as the content type. The page blanks with just the menu on the left and banner at the top and where the editor was is just the help? link.

Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I already know what that is... dang

Ok. Try the {cms_module} thing again. I'll fix that in svn tomorrow.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I can now change to content type News in the Content Management screen after the changes you made in 583. Thanks. However the news page is still blank. When I click on the News item on the menu I get the page with the header and footer but no content ??

Also there is an error in listcontent.php line 126 the page_id= should be page= so when you click the view icon the page shows, in that line you are using the alias.

Getting closer :P

Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Thanks for finding that one for me. It's fixed in #584.

Can you jump on IRC for a few minutes at some point this weekend? I'd really love to track this one down, but I think it's going to take some careful bug hunting to find it.

Thanks!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sorry Wishy I have never used IRC !

Greg
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Guess I need to write an IRC introduction. Or at least look for a good one.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Take a look here: http://searchirc.com/help/irc.php. It's a decent introduction as to what is going on. No need to do word for word, but it could use a good skim over.

It's a decent intro to IRC, though if you're using windows, I suggest mirc(http://mirc.com) as your client. It's a pretty easy to understand interface.

Just remember that we're on the freenode network (irc.freenode.net) and in the chanell #cms.

It's pretty simple and is almost necessary since that's how most of our discussions about CMS take place. It's especally great for walking through debugging procedures, instead of it taking 3 weeks in the forums. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Wahoo ! Fixed :lol: :lol: :lol:

The database table cms_module_news didn't update on the server correctly before.. did an sql update and all is well.

Sorry to hear about your hardware failure, that really sucks when you are in the middle of development (which is all the time - right)!

Thanks for your courteous, timely responses to my problems. I am looking forward to your further development of CMS Made Simple.

Greg
Greg

Link from forum to your homepage

Post by Greg »

Would be nice !!

Add a href to line 232 of phbb2/templates/subsilver/overall_header.tpl

I wrapped mine around the {SITENAME} tag.

Greg

Return to “General Discussion”