Move a website to new host without ftp or SQL access?

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
dorlow
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Move a website to new host without ftp or SQL access?

Post by dorlow »

Dr.CSS wrote:Your link gives a 403 Forbidden...

Which stylesheet call are you using, the old {stylesheet} call uses the url(****) that you show, the new {cms_stylesheet} uses url([[root_url]]/***) ...
Can you explain further? I'm not sure what you mean. The website isn't working right now and I'm not sure what to do.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

That will only work if you use the {stylesheet} call in the page template and the images are in the /uploads/template folder...

If you use the new {cms_sylesheet} tag in page template then you need to add [[root_url]]/ to all image calls...
manuel
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by manuel »

You should replace all instances of "url(uploads/" with "url([[root_url]]uploads/" in your stylesheet.

If the images don't work, right click on a broken image to verify if the path to the image is correct.
You can upload the images you downloaded from your old site to the new server if they are not present there...

Greetings,
Manuel
manuel
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by manuel »

About the domain name: You should try to contact dotster.com, this is the registrar of your original domain name and explain to them the situation.

If they cooperate, you can transfer the domain name to a domain registrar you control.
If you want to keep the domain name pointing to the old server for a while longer, make sure to fill out the old nameservers (see below) when requesting the domain transfer.
INET1.CMSINTER.NET
INET2.CMSINTER.NET

If they don't cooperate, the only way to get the domain back under your control is to wait for it to expire and try to grab it using a domain sniping service...

It will expire on 14-SEP-12 and will be released some time (days or weeks, i don't know exactly) after that as there is a grace period before they release your domain to the public.

More info here: http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/arch ... ing-domain

Greetings,
Manuel
thile
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by thile »

manuel wrote:About the domain name: You should try to contact dotster.com, this is the registrar of your original domain name and explain to them the situation.

If they cooperate, you can transfer the domain name to a domain registrar you control.
If you want to keep the domain name pointing to the old server for a while longer, make sure to fill out the old nameservers (see below) when requesting the domain transfer.
INET1.CMSINTER.NET
INET2.CMSINTER.NET

If they don't cooperate, the only way to get the domain back under your control is to wait for it to expire and try to grab it using a domain sniping service...

It will expire on 14-SEP-12 and will be released some time (days or weeks, i don't know exactly) after that as there is a grace period before they release your domain to the public.

More info here: http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/arch ... ing-domain

Greetings,
Manuel
Good suggestion:
That covers how to get the domain back.
I have done some investigation about where the server is placed. I did some whois lookup and looks like the domain points to a server [ip address] hosted and owned by http://www.liquidweb.com/

Try to contact them and see if they can confirm that your site is hosted by them. They might be able to help, but they might not give you access to the files, before you can prove your relationship with your dead friend.

Return to “General Discussion”