EU privacy cookie directive

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: EU privacy cookie directive

Post by Rolf »

@libralion
http://www.opta.nl/nl/download/publicatie/?id=3595
Read "Veelgestelde vragen over de nieuwe cookieregels"
Q: Zijn de regels van toepassing op alle cookies?
Op grond van artikel 11.7a, derde lid, Tw zijn er twee uitzonderingen. Deze uitzonderingen op het
plaatsen en/of benaderen van gegevens zonder het vragen van toestemming en vooraf informeren
van gebruikers gelden niet indien dit nodig is om communicatie uit te voeren. Tevens geldt dit niet
indien het opslaan van gegevens of toegang verkrijgen tot gegevens strikt noodzakelijk is voor een
door een gebruiker gevraagde dienst. Daarbij valt bijvoorbeeld te denken aan een cookie die nodig is
om af te rekenen bij een webshop of ten behoeve van het inloggen bij internetbankieren. De regels zijn van toepassing op zowel first- als third-party cookies.
So the session cookies CMSMS uses for Core, FEU and webshop modules are a part of the exception in the law.

If I can find a similar document from the OPTA in English I will post it here.
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
libralion
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by libralion »

@Rolf
Ok. I asked the people at the Dutch cookie site and I think you are right. It is all pretty confusing, but I think I have it clear now. ;D

Johanna
blackrain
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by blackrain »

It appears that there is a large amount of confusion about when consent is needed and whether the cookies on a standard CMSMS installation apply.

In short a standard installation i.e. CMSMS v1.11.1 only use session cookies for remembering things like 'is the admin user logged in' to the backend. These details carry no personal information and are destroyed when the browser closed. None of the cookies are persistent and therefore need no action for website owner.

It is and always has been best practice to inform the user in your 'privacy policy' that you use session cookies to use the website effectively and that at no time do you collect personal information using cookies, unless you are setting persistent cookies to be stored on the users device, like for shopping carts and such.

In my opinion NOT CMSMS's responsibility to provide this information as each installation is adapted and used to the website owners spec, and as we all know this can be hugely different from client to client.

Lastly if you are still worried about it, be rest assured that the cookie directive has implied consent at its core, meaning unless the user objects, it's ok to use cookies.

Hope this helps

Mark
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
Rolf