Migrating from Existing Site

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
Chrisvsmith

Migrating from Existing Site

Post by Chrisvsmith »

I should say first of all that I'm a total noob with CMSMS and hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I have an existing static HTML site that is ranked high in google, always high on first page of Google for all search terms I expect my customers to use.

I intend to migrate to CMSMS for my next generation dynamic site how do I ensure that I do not damage my ranking when I migrate to the new CMSMS powered site?
mcDavid
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Migrating from Existing Site

Post by mcDavid »

The best would be if the page url's of your CMS pages are exactly the same as the current url's. You should use pretty url's with mod_rewrite. You can also use a "dummy" page extension like .html in cmsms, so the url's can look exactly the same.

If you can't get the url's to match exactly, you should make rewrite rules in your .htaccess file for every page on your website, that will redirect the old url to the new url with a 301 (moved permanently) redirect. The search engines will notice this and index the new url.
Chrisvsmith

Post by Chrisvsmith »

Thanks for your quick response, I guess it's more or less what I assumed but needed it confirmed in my mind that I can make the url's look the same in dynamically generated pages.
gianpiero
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by gianpiero »

each of pages of CMSMS has an alias that you can define properly as you need, "nameofpage". It's independent of title and name of link.
The extension can be defined also
Intall a clean 1.10.1 on the server, or wamp into you pc and see about editing alias and title on existing page
Mod rewrite has to be activate
Chrisvsmith

Post by Chrisvsmith »

Again thanks for your help on this.

I now have a clean installation and have started experimenting, I have mod_rewrite on and the .htaccess file installed.

Created a new page 'about' which I need to to appear as 'about.htm' to search engine spiders, so I've made the page alias about.htm this produces the pretty url as 'about-htm'.

I'm afraid that I'm not very familiar with rewrite rules in .htaccess files, is it possible to change the rewrite rule to get the pretty url with the '.' instead of '-'.

However I've just noticed that it appears to be the CMS page editor that appears to be changing the alias '.' to '-'.

Further help would be much appreciated, it will be a disaster to rebuild my site and loose it's ranking maybe the 301 redirect is the only solution.
gianpiero
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by gianpiero »

You are on the right way ;)
You have to fill the alias with "about" only ( and not about.extension)
The extension html ( or others, eg. php ) has to be defined into the config.php, so add/fill the line with extension you need

eg.

Code: Select all

$config['page_extension'] = 'html';
hope to help
gp
Chrisvsmith

Post by Chrisvsmith »

Brilliant - works perfectly, thanks so much for your help.
gianpiero
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by gianpiero »

I'm glad to hear about ... O0

Return to “General Discussion”