Multi-Language Websites Poll

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.

With respect to multi-language websites, please tell us about your needs:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I regularly need to create multi-language websites
50%
I have an occasional need for multi-language websites
34%
I never need to create multi-language websites
16%

Total votes: 252

calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Multi-Language Websites Poll

Post by calguy1000 »

If you guys are looking to add some new sort of MLE feature to CMSMS
Nope... we're not 'looking' to do anything at this time. Just gathering a statistic.
EDIT: Please! do not read anything into this poll at all.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

The last working version of that module worked with CMSMS 1.8.2, and unfortunately, all my clients are stuck on that version, and I cannot upgrade them. (I even have Government of Canada websites running CMSMS MLE)
I suggest you change those sites immediately as the 1.8.2 series and other versions of CMSMS have very well known and well advertised security flaws.

BTW, the MLE thing was not a 'module' it was an unauthorized fork, that due to it's naming and where it was hosted caused alot of confusion and difficulty for people that support CMSMS and the third party modules.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
amin30b
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by amin30b »

Thanks for this discussion.
I have a website in Farsi language and newly I need to have its content in English language too.
Now I should do many tips and tricks to have a well structured multi-language website, but I hope development team put multi-language capabilities in the core and make this process easier to do in every place that the output can be displayed in second language.
Assange
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Assange »

gocreative wrote:in instances where my clients have required multiple languages, I've simple added Google Translate to the footer.
That's not really a professional solution - if you want to have a funny evening use google translator.
essexboyracer
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by essexboyracer »

In 11 years of web development, I have only ever needed some sort of multi-language capacity in a website once.
nxthor

Post by nxthor »

I need to manage sites at the university in at least german and english.
My curent workaround is a session variable "lang" that contains the lang-identifier ("de" or "en" for now, template has links to current page with "?lang=en|de" to switch, after switch var stays in session) and I have added content fields for additional content, title, menu-title, etc. So I can switch in my templates between language-blocks according to the session-var.
To get the content blocks even if not shown, I would assign them in the beginning of each template into variables. Usage of label and options like oneline or no-wysiwyg is great here.
Found very good use with my solution, since I have all information to one page in one place, and can sort everything easily.

If you consider to implement multi-language support something close to this could be a solution, since i see no option in having two, three or more separate trees of the same content, that one would have to manage all the same.

Is there a widely used approach to that problem anyway?

best regards!
nxthor
SanderBroek
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by SanderBroek »

MLE was an option until 1.8.2. So all projects with languages involved are delivered now to old versions.

If the core team decides to not incorporate language features, it's a NO to all international businesses. I mean, all business operating in more than one language areas.
denli
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by denli »

I do this ;D :
http://www.i-do-this.com/blog/25/Anothe ... CMSMS-Page , Goran (and Ron) has saved me more than ones with there tutorials ;)

it works great and doesn't break into the core!
Easy to set up for me and uses already existing modules (also from calguy) to make it work.

What I also like about it it doesn't put extra paths in the URL like for example. domain.com/EN/home or domain.com/NL/home etc.
It just gives nice clean URLs also.

And almost everything I need to call into my pages that also needs to bee in the right language is achievable so var.

I have had some little trouble with the show-time module but thats solved also!
denli
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by denli »

SanderBroek wrote:MLE was an option until 1.8.2. So all projects with languages involved are delivered now to old versions.

If the core team decides to not incorporate language features, it's a NO to all international businesses. I mean, all business operating in more than one language areas.
Than you really need to look at my post I just made! It works great and no problems updating to the latest version so far.
SanderBroek
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by SanderBroek »

calguy1000 wrote: I suggest you change those sites immediately as the 1.8.2 series and other versions of CMSMS have very well known and well advertised security flaws.
There's no serious alternative...
denli wrote:Than you really need to look at my post I just made! It works great and no problems updating to the latest version so far.
We did. Really great post. It works perfectly for small/easy websites. But it's not an option within bigger organisations.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

Assange wrote:
gocreative wrote:in instances where my clients have required multiple languages, I've simple added Google Translate to the footer.
That's not really a professional solution - if you want to have a funny evening use google translator.
I have only ever done this twice, both on websites which used CMS's that I had no control over - only the content/templates. And neither of those sites ran CMS Made Simple. Anyway, it was good enough for the Queensland Government.
denli
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by denli »

A view international sites build with CMSMS would not heart its exposure ;) and all the benefits that it will bring!
Last edited by denli on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
faglork

Post by faglork »

Hi,

about 50% of my sites are ML or plan to go ML. Mostly German/English.

I currently use the MleCMS module and it works well, although I would wish to have the content edited in adjacent tabs for fast switching.

Maybe it would suffice to add better ML support for 3rd party modules?

Cheers,
Alex
dmagill
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dmagill »

I have to agree with joecannes on this one. Not to snub anyone for their hard work, and I do understand why the schism, but the MLE was and still is handy as hell. I have a few sites sitting in limbo now.
radoado
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by radoado »

In addition to support MLE in the pages i need and MLE functionality in modules (Products, Gallery, Company Directory).

Return to “General Discussion”