Multi-Language Websites Poll

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.

With respect to multi-language websites, please tell us about your needs:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I regularly need to create multi-language websites
50%
I have an occasional need for multi-language websites
34%
I never need to create multi-language websites
16%

Total votes: 252

deactivated010521

Re: Multi-Language Websites Poll

Post by deactivated010521 »

As a dutch webdeveloper I sometimes do multi-langual projects. The existing solutions and workarounds are easy to implement and do their job. I like the idea of native ML support in CMSMS, although for me it's not top priority.

In my opinion the dev team can better focus on the overall CMSMS experience instead of spending all time on a ML implementation.
14m3r

Post by 14m3r »

The poll shows the majority opinion of people that for many it's very necessary function. I know that there are some different ways to make a multilingual site, but I (as a many people in this topic) would like to see this feature existed in the core of the engine.

Simply put, it would be really great! ::)
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

14m3r wrote:The poll shows the majority opinion of people that for many it's very necessary function.
That's not really true. At the time of writing, less than half (49%) of users need it often. Those that only need it occasionally can certainly make do with any of the various workarounds or modules that can perform this task.

I agree that it's important for many but I also feel that this survey's results would be at least slightly skewed towards users who create multi-language sites. Those who don't are far less likely to respond to the survey to begin with because it makes no difference to them whether such functionality exists or not.

The other factor is that CMS Made Simple, for one reason or another, seems to have a large European community. In time, there will be more English-speaking users (e.g. USA, Australia) and thus the need for multi-languages is likely to decrease as well.

I personally would prefer to see the team improve CMS Made Simple's core functionality, particularly image and file management, than spend time on functionality that most users don't require very often.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

gocreative wrote: The other factor is that CMS Made Simple, for one reason or another, seems to have a large European community. In time, there will be more English-speaking users (e.g. USA, Australia) and thus the need for multi-languages is likely to decrease as well.
I don't disagree with the rest of your statements, but I do disagree with this. I'm going to base my assumption on your "Joined date". Since you are "newish" you may not realize that the EU community has continually grown over the last 6 years I have used CMSMS, which is wonderful. In my opinion it has grown much faster than the usership from natively English speaking countries has.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

tyman00 wrote:I'm going to base my assumption on your "Joined date".
Actually, I've been using the software a few years now, but only joined the forum this year.
tyman00 wrote:Since you are "newish" you may not realize that the EU community has continually grew over the last 6 years I have used CMSMS, which is wonderful. In my opinion it has grown much faster than the usership from natively English speaking countries has.
That statement doesn't necessarily disagree with mine. Regardless of which has grown faster so far, the reality is that there are a hell of a lot of people in the USA and other English-speaking countries, and from what I've seen not a great deal of them use CMS Made Simple. That means the potential for growth there is quite high.

At any rate, those are just my thoughts. We're all just guessing, really.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

gocreative wrote: We're all just guessing, really.
Couldn't agree more! :)
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Can't we just vote and stop discussing about which community is large or not and if it should be part of core?
This poll does not indicate that ML will be included in core, but should give DEV-Team a direction of what is needed, so DEV-Team can make reasonable decisions.

As my remark to "English only" speaking community and sites, even if US or other English speaking community will or would grow, there is still good possibility that even those user need ML solution.
With internationalization of Companies, "english" only sites aren't worth much, except if it is some small local SB company or store.
Look at growth of Chinese power and technology, so let's say a Company want's to be successful not only in US, then it is obvious that that Company should or could offer Chinese too.
14m3r

Post by 14m3r »

uniqu3 wrote:Look at growth of Chinese power and technology, so let's say a Company want's to be succesful not only in US, then it is obvious that that Company should or could offer Chinese to.
Yes, it's absolutely true. Right now I'm working on an international project (Germany-Russia-China-France) on this, i found it necessary to add its voice in support of multi-language. ;)
totophe
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by totophe »

Hey guys,

I know I'm late on the debate/poll, but I never go to the forums...

So, here is my two cents:

Our company, based in Europe, is developing 50+ cmsms based websites a year. and more than 50% of those websites are multilingual. We are not talking about 2 languages but at least 5 or 6.

Ex:
http://www.exceptionalenergy.com/
http://www.europeunconventionalgas.org/
http://www.eufoa.org/
http://www.east-invest.eu/

So, doing multilanguages websites are a requirement for us.

To those who says that more and more people are speaking english, this comment is non-sense. Professional businesses want to reach the largest audience possible, for one, and I don't think we can say to all the european countries: Learn English and go F. yourself. Just look at the Belgian problem about languages...

About the technical point of view, based on our experience:

1. We never used the MLE system. Why ? Because most of the time, our websites are asymmetrically translated. So our first level are the language and then sub-websites. The only lack of that is that when you switch from one language to another one, you go back to the homepage. But let's be honest: Once you have chosen your language for navigation, why would you like to switch?

2. We never used the Google translate. That's maybe good for personal websites or very small business ones, but for professional websites, we cannot do that. It would be ridiculous (imoo).

3. For templates translations, we use our module "I18n" which allows us to centralise all the small translations (didn't check other solutions, there weren't there when we've developed I18n...). It might be nice to have an integrated solution or for us to spend more time on the development of I18n with help of other developers.

Conclusion:

Even if many people need multilingual websites, there are so many incompatible ways of doing it that I would first create a working group to decide how it should be implemented and if it should be implemented at all rather than advertising on good existing solutions.

As I'm deep inside the language/localisation/internationalisation/translation problem, I would be happy to participate in such group.

Best regards,

JCC
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Hello All.

As you know the voting for this poll ended December 27 2011. And as you can see from the responses to this forum this is still a highly debatable topic with lots of opinions and no clear answer as to what should be done.

The dev team has reviewed the posts in this poll, and considered everything at length. We are in fact, still considering this issue. Additionally more input from some of the community is still coming in via some in-person meetings. Therefore we will hold off on announcing a decision for a while.

We hope to have a healthy discussion about this issue at the Northampton GeekMoot in March. Will you be there to help us make a decision?

Thank you for your time.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “General Discussion”